Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapping 2014/15

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I got huge coyote problem in North. After the season I got to figure something out. Might be time to add another hobby.
    Don't wait till then. Get your traps now. I like the MB 550 the best. The Victor #3 is a little larger and is a good trap but the 550 is stouter.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    how many traps you have out?

We had three dozen out and have pulled a few here and there. Today we pulled all but one dozen that are half 1.5s and half dogproof on a creek. My buddy is going to check them for a few days but we are going to reset about 4 dozen on the club I joined in chappels on Sunday. Hope to pull about 20 yotes or so out of that one place from now until end of season. It'll get good when everyone leaves the woods I think.
    We are still learning and are trying new stuff like Tbone sets and PVC sets. I'm sure all of that works but the hole sets just seem to have a much better catch ratio.

We are going to try live trapping. Id rather see them dead but he has a buyer so we shall see.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Don't wait till then. Get your traps now. I like the MB 550 the best. The Victor #3 is a little larger and is a good trap but the 550 is stouter.

This...

It takes time to wax and dye traps. The more rust you get the better to start off with on new traps.

Try soaking in degreaser overnight and then muratic acid for 30 min then rinse really well and hang outside for a week. That'll get you started but really a season in the elements seems to be the best thing for them.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Actually vinegar works the best at degreasing traps. I use a 75/25 ratio of vinegar and water. Then soak the traps in full metal jacket.

Cut em tell me about pvc and t bone sets
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Cut em post a pic of the one we got this morning.
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Default Trapping 2014/15

PVC set is just a flat set and you take a piece of 12-18" long 3-4"-1" PVC and you drive that into the ground at a 45 degree angle leaving 10" or so above the ground and you put your bait/lure down inside which prevents them stealing the bait, should prevent flooding of a hole set and the white pipe serves as something to grab their attention as well.

Virtually same senario with the tbone set except the tbone off of a cow but I could imagine you could do something smaller bone wise. Basically jab the tbone in the ground and place wool up in small cavity where the set has to be worked bc bait isn't easily accessible.

I'll try to take a picture next time we set one of each.
    Last edited by cut em'; 12-09-2014 at 10:37 PM.

I'll get a pic of one tomorrow while we are remaking some sets
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

[/URL]

I want to do this!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

If someone can post some pics for me I hot a couple more from today and a pic of a PVC flat set that caught today

Pics for cantcaresb

The best time to do something is between yesterday and tomorrow

Thanks for posting zkiller. Hopefully we will have a few more tomorrow

Default Trapping 2014/15

The wife got plastered at the concert that's why I haven't posted your pics.

Hopefully the pen will be full by end of the week.
    Last edited by cut em'; 12-12-2014 at 11:59 PM.

In that pvc set where is the trap?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

In front of the pipe by about 6".

The trap needs to be offset just a bit and the pipe needs to be at a 45 degree angle. It's a good way to keep them from stealing bait if you do fairly large hole sets like we do.

That PVC set the center of the pan was about 9 inches in front of the top of the PVC slightly offset to the left. Getting ready to check traps again hopefully we'll have more pics to post up

Keep on, keepin' on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

What are you putting down the pipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Cantcaresb catch today
    The best time to do something is between yesterday and tomorrow