Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambush boats.... Havoc/edge copy?

Default Ambush boats.... Havoc/edge copy?

So I ran across ambush boats on FB tonight. Who knows anything about them? They seem to be nearly identical to a Havoc and Edge... Just curious

Awful lot of similarities. But big difference in the sides.

Ambush is made by legend Craft. Few years back a guy I know had a bad experience with warranty work on his legend craft. They fell off the radar then popped back up selling this Ambush boat that like you said is very similar to havoc.
    Last edited by Redleg Camo; 11-18-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Guy who ones Ambush build the Edge boats after Tim Scott left to start Havoc. He kinda got run off from Edge, bought out Legend Craft and started Ambush. Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by TRASHDUCK View Post
    Guy who ones Ambush build the Edge boats after Tim Scott left to start Havoc. He kinda got run off from Edge, bought out Legend Craft and started Ambush. Does this make sense?
    Very much so. I'd like.to see how they ride compared to my havoc

Yeah, they look similar and probably ride almost the same. The only differences I see are just some nicer "little things" in the havocs.
    I wonder how many more boats will get built like these three?

from what ive heard if you want one next year you should have ordered it last year.

Heard they hop more than a trampoline.. Coming from a friend in Arkansas
    She needs more power!

Read where they have cross sectional ribs instead of longitudinal. I was on board to get one until I read that.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    from what ive heard if you want one next year you should have ordered it last year.
    Yeh 2 buddies of mine ordered them back in the summer and still haven't gotten them....Pics now on the ambush FB page where they were finally being built so hopefully soon we'll see what it does

Quote Originally Posted by screaminyammi09 View Post
    Heard they hop more than a trampoline.. Coming from a friend in Arkansas
    That can usually be fixed with adjustments and the right prop.

If people keep buying them at the price point they're at, other boat companies will be missing the market share bandwagon if they don't jump on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

What have you heard about the prices?

Not sure why cross bracing vs longitudinal ribs would make a difference in whether someone would buy it or not. Just about every jon boat manufacturer in the industry still uses cross bracing. Only a couple brands use longitudinal ribs and even then it's fairly new technology. Xpress, Excel, and Havoc I believe are the only companies with longitudinal bracing at this time. Unless you're going to be constantly banging the hull on the bottom (as in mud boats) then it should never make a difference. Xpress was the first to use longitudinal ribs but it was due to making a pad hull where cross bracing wouldn't work rather than for durability.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    That can usually be fixed with adjustments and the right prop.

Those boats may have some rocker in the hull. Straightening and making the rear of the hull bottom perfectly flat and true can fix that. Or adding some hook to the last foot of the hull or like a post Bmiller made where he had transom wedges welded on.

So in those situations there is no magic combo of motor height and prop that will adequately address the problem?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Those boats may have some rocker in the hull. Straightening and making the rear of the hull bottom perfectly flat and true can fix that. Or adding some hook to the last foot of the hull or like a post Bmiller made where he had transom wedges welded on.
    The reason these boats have such hype is bc their hull is as perfectly flat as it can get. There should be no reason for needing wedges or needing to hook the hull if you have the right setup.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Why not just get a havoc? Enough has been sold to ensure you of a fine product.

I agree 100% about buying a havoc though

I think the owner of ambush worked at edge with Tim and both left and started their own mess

Found an interesting post over on the Refuge concerning the Ambush line of boats. Some of you know Danny over there (1995 US1) and if you're like me you tend to respect his opinions when it comes to hauling ass in jon boats as he's proven himself as an authority many times over!

This is from Danny:

There are 2 classes of "jon" boat. Now we have "High Performance" hulls and regular old fishing hulls. There are several manufacturers in Arkansas building Hi-perf hulls. The bottom design is such that these hulls are usually about 5-7 mph faster than the "jon" boat style hull. I have assisted 2 of the manufacturers in designing their bottoms for performance, which includes speed, turning ability, durability, load carrying. There are now 3 or 4 manufacturers of the hulls.
    I'll list them in MY order of preference. I have a 1552 Ambush ordered for February. I know more about the Ambush than any other. They are a 100 gauge hull, I helped design the bottom.
    1. Ambush by LegendCraft Boats
    2. Edge by Waco Craft
    3.Havoc which is now owned and built by the guy that originally built Edge boats for Waco
    These hulls come in various sizes. The difference is that they are actually designed for the timber hunters in Arkansas. The sides are not flared out much. I had a 1556 Edge with a 63" beam. They are all 100 gauge boats for durability and can be ordered with a variety of options. I helped design the Edge 1556, mine was a rocket, would turn hard enough to throw a passenger out, and floated very high in a shallow marsh. I had a 4 cylinder EFI, 4 stroke, 61ci, Mercury on that Edge. It would run mid 40's all day heavily loaded. Remove all but 1 battery, with 2 people, the boat would run 50 mph all day. It was an ideal boat for me, EXCEPT for the fact that it was built with 90 gauge hull and 80 gauge interior and began to tear the floor apart from the hull and ribs. That info was used when I was hired to help design the Ambush hull. That's why it is a 100 gauge boat.

Sounds like the Ambush boat line might be worth looking into for some of you speed and adrenaline junkies after all!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

If Tim Scott were not around, half the boats people talk about on here wouldn't exist. Including ambush.