Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: legit dove field questions only

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Crew of Mexicans were doing a hell of a job getting weed out the cotton field the other day
    See my post above. I wasn't being a smartass for once. Farmers around here use them all the time for pigweed issues. And from reading the news..finding a couple amigos shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-07-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Sounds like a lot of work just to have "clean" ground. I know where there are 50-60 birds using a wheat/oats stubble field that has crab grass about knee high in it. They don't seem to mind sitting down in the field anywhere they find the food. I stand by my comment, the best dove shoots I have been on are in pigweed infested cutovers/fields.

Sportin Woodies, I am pretty sure that was some of your crowd looking at cutting this field Monday afternoon.

how bad is gramaxone to work with? Guy is talking HazMat suits and stuff....

If that's the case, I prefer the messicans.

we tried to cultivate. it didnt do enough.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you like your liver, treat that Gramoxone like VX nerve gas.

I have the same issue except its sickle pod. I sprayed 2-4d and roundup last week. Seems like it has just slowed it from growing. Any suggestions for that?

I can get you a crew if you need that live on Bluff.

I would/will not spray Gramoxone from an open cab. I like me too much, and the danger is very real. If you go that route, hire a highboy to spray for you, if you don't have closed cab machine. Guy is spot on, if you go open cab. Cover up, filtration mask, gloves, and eye protection. A bad gust comes along and you're burnt, chemically.

what if I dont like my liver?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

If that's the case, I prefer the messicans.

we tried to cultivate. it didnt do enough.
    Fine to work with as long as you don't drink or inhale it. Always spray into the wind.
    TFC -"Be tough, or get tough!"

we had a highboy to use but the farmer balked at the idea. I'm still not sure why.

Now I have to weigh my options of getting nuked by chemicals or hiring a crew or having a weedy field....

what if I dont like my liver?
    I believe that you have demonstrated that on several occasions.

You keep sayin' "high boy"

and I'm all like...

When farmers (or Messicans) pull the pigweed, do they leave it in the field or take it off to dispose of it? I pulled some earlier in the year, but I didn't make much of a dent in it (maybe came back from roots?) At least the doves eat the seed...

https://www.extension.org/pages/6520...p#.U-OX-Eiay3E

Pigweeds reproduce entirely by seed. A single large plant can mature 100,000–600,000 seeds, and populations of 0.1–1 plants per square foot can shed 10,000–45,000 seeds per square foot, or 0.4–2 billion per acre (Massinga et al., 2001; Sellers et al., 2003). This prolific seed production makes pigweeds especially difficult to manage, since successful maturation of just one plant per 10,000 emerging seedlings can allow pigweed populations to increase severalfold from one year to the next.

The ability of pigweed plants uprooted or severed at flowering to complete seed maturation has not been researched. However, in upstate New York, 2–4-inch fragments of Powell amaranth inflorescences lying on the soil surface were found to contain black seeds 3 weeks after the weeds were disked down at flowering (Charles Mohler, Cornell University, pers. commun.). Apparently, if pollination takes place before pigweeds are pulled or chopped, some potential exists for viable seed production.

Quote Originally Posted by CRowland View Post
    When farmers (or Messicans) pull the pigweed, do they leave it in the field or take it off to dispose of it? I pulled some earlier in the year, but I didn't make much of a dent in it (maybe came back from roots?) At least the doves eat the seed...

https://www.extension.org/pages/6520...p#.U-OX-Eiay3E

Pigweeds reproduce entirely by seed. A single large plant can mature 100,000–600,000 seeds, and populations of 0.1–1 plants per square foot can shed 10,000–45,000 seeds per square foot, or 0.4–2 billion per acre (Massinga et al., 2001; Sellers et al., 2003). This prolific seed production makes pigweeds especially difficult to manage, since successful maturation of just one plant per 10,000 emerging seedlings can allow pigweed populations to increase severalfold from one year to the next.

The ability of pigweed plants uprooted or severed at flowering to complete seed maturation has not been researched. However, in upstate New York, 2–4-inch fragments of Powell amaranth inflorescences lying on the soil surface were found to contain black seeds 3 weeks after the weeds were disked down at flowering (Charles Mohler, Cornell University, pers. commun.). Apparently, if pollination takes place before pigweeds are pulled or chopped, some potential exists for viable seed production.
    I would assume the messicans try and eat it

OK. So we did our best. We sprayed a pretty lethal pre-emergent mix and took care of a lot of the pigweed. As it stands, we missed some rows. Pretty easy to see. Picture 12 clean(ish) rows and then 4 that have pigweed as tall as the sunflowers all across the field. We planted a bit late, too, so we are just now ready for some field maintenance. We used clearfield in half and plain black oils in the other half. We did NOT spray POST emergent. Yes, I realize that mistake but we had a myriad of excuses. Too wet. Not wet enough. No time. Too much time. Tractor broke. Moon wasnt right. Too early. Too late. Blah blah blah Then, its mid august.

So, the flowers are made. The leaves are dropping. We need to make dirt. The pigweed continues to grow and is certainly creeping into all areas of the field. We toyed with the idea of a highboy and some gramaxone and just burn it to hell. We also considered just bushhogging the 4bad rows and using our regular sprayer to cover as much of the "good" rows as we can. We would still likley use gramaxone.

We have noticed in the past that roundup will not touch the pigweed.

I want/need a CLEAN dove field. What would you arm chair QBs do at this point?
    Take a boomless sprayer over the middle 2 of the 12 rows and then from each side. We go with a heavy mix of glysophate and usually spray a second time too. I do not mess with grymoxone.

If you have to ask, I am betting you do not have the license to legally obtain it.

I read somewhere that pigweed seed doesn't like fire. Bush hog and light it up... Or propane torch the stalks. Screw the clean field. You need to be worried a out the seed bank. Rotate your dove field next year and work on the current field with the disc. If you do mow be sure to blow the tea for and mower off before you leave the field. That shit is the devil. I have taken it from estill to my house. I battle it in my garden and flower beds constantly. 3-4% roundup works pretty good.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I don't know about these other clowns and their ideas, but I think you need to move your field to one of the fields further away that doesn't have pig weed for a year or two and disc/burn/spray the dogshit out of the current field until it's under control.

Yeah

High Boy
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-07-2014 at 11:17 AM.