Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver

Default Revolver

I'm looking at getting my mother in law a revolver for home protection. Any suggestions?

judge

Any of the S&W or Ruger in .38 Special would probably suffice. I'd stay with steel as the extra weight won't be an issue in a home environment, but will help with recoil.

That said, a shotgun would be my first choice. Maybe a 20ga?

S&W for all revolvers

A good used s&w m10 4" barrel for in the house
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Jenkins View Post
    A good used s&w m10 4" barrel for in the house
    Hard to beat.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I second the Judge

I bought the wife a Taurus titanium hammerless in .38sp. No issues with it at all, lightweight, and no fooling around with a hammer to cock if/when the time arises.

You must really hate her.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    You must really hate her.
    Never had the first issue from it. Prob 1,000+ rounds thru it. Guess since we don't own/shoot what you have its an issue then...

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Or a s&w m64. Check the pawn shops. 4 in. Ruger GP 100 is very rugged. Not a big Ruger fan in many things but their revolvers are solid. Not refined like a s&w or colt but built like a tank.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

For home protection, I like that I can go a shade bigger than what I have to worry about concealing. With revolvers, it's the same thing. A solid S&W K-frame or even L-frame 6 shot of any variety... or a Ruger Security- or Service-Six, GP100...

The Model 10 or 64 is a good basic option. I recently bought a Model 64 on Gunbroker for a shade over $300. Model 10's are often actually harder to come by. A lot of security companies and such are gradually unloading all of their Model 64's at low cost. I bought mine to get a gun built on, so I wasn't too concerned with cosmetic stuff that would be taken care of during the build.

The Taurus Judge, especially with Winchester PDX1 loads, is indeed effective. I have worked a couple of cases where that combination was used effectively, with some pattern testing. The PDX disc-loaded ammo is neat (although I doubt the BB's do much compared to the discs).

For someone with limited shooting experience, a basic 38 Special revolver with good non-+P ammunition would be my preference.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

In all seriousness...whatever she wants. A .22 mag revolver that she's comfortable with will be a lot more effective that something big that she's scared of. That being said, a 4-6 inch .38 can be effective and not too intimidating to shoot, especially with the right grips for small hands.

Thanks. I should have been a little more specific. She has two 9mm, a smith shield and a ruger. She's an experienced shooter but she needs something easier to handle. Arthritis makes it hard for her to rack back the semi's so I wanted to get her a revolver. It would still be used for the home but something she could take to the range and enjoy as well.

Judge. I don't see how it can beat beat as it allows for a certain "margin of error."

I would take her to the store and see what suits her best.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

442 or 642
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by GRN HED KILR View Post
    Thanks. I should have been a little more specific. She has two 9mm, a smith shield and a ruger. She's an experienced shooter but she needs something easier to handle. Arthritis makes it hard for her to rack back the semi's so I wanted to get her a revolver. It would still be used for the home but something she could take to the range and enjoy as well.
    If she's having problems with arthritis, make sure you include a good trigger job on any handgun she decides on. It could make a big difference to her.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

if there are no kids in the house.

Stevens SxS with double triggers. 12 or 20.

My wife used to keep one between mattress and box springs until we had kids.

point and click
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud