Thread: season ender

Default season ender

Ended the season with a bang and a whimper. Monday afternoon managed to pull in a buddy's first bird. It was the third time we had hunted him, and the box call and hen/Jake decoy worked textbook. Unfortunately it was the only time all season that things worked out for me.

the whimper... went and beat the rain today midmorning to hunt a lone public land long beard I have had the safety off on 3 times this year only to find where somebody shot him where he liked to strut midday and his were hens all alone for the first time this season. That's the way it happens though.

That about sums up my season. About a dozen close calls, safety off about every hunt, birds gobbling like I hadn't heard in two years, but an empty freezer. I will say it was just as exciting watching a buddy kill his first as shooting one myself. Extra innings are possible seeing as I have an out of state place and until may 15th to hunt there, but work is starting to really crank up. Good luck to those trying to dodge these thunder storms today and tomorrow.
    Here's a bad shot, but the one bird I watched get shot this year.
    uploadfromtaptalk1398876696160.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by surfcock; 04-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Sounds like you had pretty good hunts even though you didn't get to pull the trigger. Congrats on getting your buddy on his first bird.

Congrats
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Seeing boot tracks atop your mornings print that ends in a pile of feathers is never a good feeling brother.. Been there myself... Kept looking for you in the new section I am hunting but never saw your rig this year.. I decided to hunt less for birds and more for no to low traffic areas and it made a difference. Stay well brada.
    Genesis 9;2

I hunted all new territory this year too. I didn't walk many roads instead walked natural routes and quite often just took a compass bearing and went. The area I hunted today was an exception and a place I hunted out of covenience. I got a lot more aggressive too and only got busted once and it was due to a silent gobbler behund me. That approach led to a lot more close calls than normal and fun hunts, but I still have a lot to learn. The last two seasons have taught me that.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by surfcock; 04-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.