Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NoDak

Default NoDak

What does a fella need to have in his gear cache if he wants to go hunt NoDak? How big of a field spread do you regulars normally run? I think I've finally got a guy or two talked into the trip starting in 2015(we've both got too many commitments to go this year). It'll give us plenty of time to get our gear built up between now and then and plan everything out good. Anything wrong with planning on focusing on the SE quadrant of the state?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Field decoys, waders, floaters, shells, gun, shovel, rake, mojo, jerk string. I can take 3 dudes and fly enough shit to hunt with, using max 3 duffles a piece. Cost $1400 per each man.

If you are going SE, take muck boots.

I will be there. The later the better, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Field decoys, waders, floaters, shells, gun, shovel, rake, mojo, jerk string. I can take 3 dudes and fly enough shit to hunt with, using max 3 duffles a piece. Cost $1400 per each man.

If you are going SE, take muck boots.

I will be there. The later the better, IMHO.

Everything he said. Hunting fields is fun, I like hunting the water more. If you wanted you could make the trip with a dozen floaters and still kill birds. The first year we ever went we brought 3 dozen decoys and killed birds every day. We got hooked up with a farmer out there last year through some guys on here and there are decoys already there that groups from the past leave. Last year we used some of those, this year we are going to bring out some of our own to hunt with and leave there as well. The decoy sleds help a lot when you have long walks, and marsh seats are the ticket, especially when you're hunting for two weeks straight. A good pair of binoculars are high on the list as well.

It's not vital, but we are going to bring a couple of ATV's this year. We won't need them every hunt, but there were a few times I would have killed to have one last year.

Our trip usually costs around $1200 - $1500 per person, and we hunt any where from 10 - 14 days.

I really want to hunt some fields...3-4 dozen decoys and a mojo enough? Is it worth it to lug a dozen Canadas or so along too?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Hunting fields is fun, I like hunting the water more.
    Are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Are you kidding me?
    Nope ... I've heard that before though. I don't know why I enjoy it more, I just like hunting water.

I hunt nodak to lay in a dry field in my socks. You dont really need a layout blind....

If I have to hunt water to kill a duck I am pissed. I typically duck hunt in the morning, and pheasant hunt the rest of the day. I love riding, looking, and walking. Its a wonderful place.

Go up to Berlin to see the biggest fucking corn pile in the world (to me ), worth the ride....

PLOTS MAPS are your friend, and thier public land actually does have and hold wildlife.

No shit. Who goes 1600 miles away to hunt grey ducks in a mess of cattails and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    No shit. Who goes 1600 miles away to hunt grey ducks in a mess of cattails and mud.
    Me. Got no problem with that.

Killing ducks in fields is fun as stomping baby chickens.

I'm like big business, diversity is key. Mallards are extremely overrated.

Driving a section, Fish is eyeing fields, I'm eyeing potholes.
    I guess I'm the only one in SC that thinks a wigeon/gadwall/pintail tastes the same asva mallard in fajitas trying not to exceed the possession limit.

Ducks die over water, geese over land. Just how I prefer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Everything he said. Hunting fields is fun, I like hunting the water more. If you wanted you could make the trip with a dozen floaters and still kill birds. The first year we ever went we brought 3 dozen decoys and killed birds every day. We got hooked up with a farmer out there last year through some guys on here and there are decoys already there that groups from the past leave. Last year we used some of those, this year we are going to bring out some of our own to hunt with and leave there as well. The decoy sleds help a lot when you have long walks, and marsh seats are the ticket, especially when you're hunting for two weeks straight. A good pair of binoculars are high on the list as well.

It's not vital, but we are going to bring a couple of ATV's this year. We won't need them every hunt, but there were a few times I would have killed to have one last year.

Our trip usually costs around $1200 - $1500 per person, and we hunt any where from 10 - 14 days.
    solid advice...is it fall yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I'm like big business, diversity is key. Mallards are extremely overrated.
    This is normally me to a tee, but I want to shoot fat mallards in a corn field. Something I've never gotten to do. I can shoot diversity down here, I want green up there.

If anyone needs another person lemme know.

It blew the guys I went with this years mind when I showed them you can stand a floater up on standing wheat stubble and it works just as good as those full bodies standing out there. They had never field hunted in the 7 years they've been going and had been shooting the water for 2 days before I got there. We bought a dozen full bodies and spread them out through the floaters and killed limits for the next 5 days...being cheap you have to think outside the box sometimes. PM me if you want to meet us up there this year or next or need some more info. You're always more than gracious with the invites so im extending the offer.

If it ain't gotta a green head or a long tail it ain't a duck. Mallards > every other duck. Stompin chicks? Ninja please. It's easy to kill ducks over water in nodak. Field hunting past the first or second week takes a little bit of skill.

Kill them where you find them. Moral of the story is you can make it as simple as you want or as advanced as you want out there and still kill ducks if you scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    If it ain't gotta a green head or a long tail it ain't a duck. Mallards > every other duck. Stompin chicks? Ninja please. It's easy to kill ducks over water in nodak. Field hunting past the first or second week takes a little bit of skill.
    It's obvious in all your years killing ducks in NoDak and around the country, you have it figured out.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Bazinga.

I pray this thread doesn't fuck up NoDak for South Carolinians like hunting in AR has been fucked up by South Carolinians..

To those reading this and thinking about heading North, Bo. -

Obey the laws.

Ask for permission to hunt.

Take the landowner a gift of thanks.

Clean up after yourself.

Don't be a fucktard.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

One of the best hunts I've had there was a field hunt with 8 mallard floaters and a wing thing. Fields were so wet we couldn't drive in them and it was a 3/4 mile hike to the birds. That opened our eyes on spreads. Two dozen decoys, motion decoy, a layout blind, box of shells, binoculars and windshield time should be all you need on a daily basis.

Edit to add rakes, shovels to brush blinds quicker.
    Sent from my S4 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by straightline; 03-07-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephensj9 View Post
    It blew the guys I went with this years mind when I showed them you can stand a floater up on standing wheat stubble and it works just as good as those full bodies standing out there. They had never field hunted in the 7 years they've been going and had been shooting the water for 2 days before I got there. We bought a dozen full bodies and spread them out through the floaters and killed limits for the next 5 days...being cheap you have to think outside the box sometimes. PM me if you want to meet us up there this year or next or need some more info. You're always more than gracious with the invites so im extending the offer.
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. I'll probably shoot you a PM sometime about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Kill them where you find them. Moral of the story is you can make it as simple as you want or as advanced as you want out there and still kill ducks if you scout.
    Someone told me almost that same thing.