Thread: Possible World Record...

Default Possible World Record...

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/world-...&utm_content=A

Potential World Record Sunfish Caught in Lake Havasu, Wildlife Officials Think There Could Be Many More

By: Matt Alpert 3 days ago
    Potential World Record Sunfish Caught in Lake Havasu, Wildlife Officials Think There Could Be Many More
    Image: Arizona Game and Fish Depatment
    (4K)

(5)

An Arizona angler caught a potential world record sunfish on Lake Havasu last Sunday.

Angler Hector Brito pulled a 5.78-pound 17-inch redear sunfish from the waters of Arizona’s Lake Havasu. His catch may have set a new International Game Fish Association world record, according to the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Brito caught the record sunfish around 11:30 am using a No. 8 Aberdeen gold hook and nightcrawler bait. He brought the catch to local bass pro John Galbraith to measure the catch on a certified Arizona Game and Fish scale. The current official world record sunfish is 5.55 pounds, caught by angler Bob Lawler in 2011. Brito may have him beat by a couple ounces. Pending IFGA certification, this is likely the world record for sunfish. But Arizona Game and Fish and Galbraith think there are plenty more monster sunfish swimming in the lake.
    More Big Little Fish
    More Big Little Fish Check out this record perch caught last week in Idaho.

Galbraith, who measured this record sunfish, believes that redear and other fish species are getting fat and happy off of invasive quagga muscles in the lake. Game and Fish can’t confirm the connection yet, but they think the invasive quaggas are the likely cause of the uptick of big sunfish.

“Brito said he thought it was a catfish,” Galbraith told Arizona Game and Fish. “I don’t know what the genetic potential is for redear. But this record fish was not even a spawning fish. There’s some out there that are in the mid-6 pound range easy.”

There you have it folks. If you want to catch monster sunfish, Lake Havasu is the place to be.

That filet would cover a slice of bread sho nuf....
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

It's bigger than a butta' bean aint' it....

He'd give a bream buster a hell of a work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    "I'm a heterosexual Male.... wanna catch me cheating??? Bait me with pussy...."

Big one for sure I don't think I've reeled in a bass that big.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Redear? I don't see one.
    Christian Southern White Heterosexual Gun-Toting Male (The world's most hated minority)

Bog catches em like that on the reg.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

The story said the bobber sinker got big because of the invasive quagga muscles
    I wonder if we can introduce that invasive here? and then maybe have the GL protect it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I caught one around 3 pounds last year I couldn't imagine catching one around that size on an ultralight. It was also the first time I've ever used a net on a shellcracker

Lake Havasu is where the Girls Gone Wild Spring Break Edition was filmed. Something that got spilled in that water is growing big fish!
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    Lake Havasu is where the Girls Gone Wild Spring Break Edition was filmed. Something that got spilled in that water is growing big fish!

Gosh dog it, only you......

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/