Thread: Please keep my wife in mind... Looking for a male Golden

Default Please keep my wife in mind... Looking for a male Golden

Would appreciate it if you'd all keep my wife in mind if you happen to come across any stories of a 1-6 year old male Golden Retriever who is in need of a new home.

Preferably he'd be 'Heartworm Negative', for sure. It would also be preferred if he was neutered, but we could take care of that.

Those that prefer to be 'only dogs' wouldn't work because we have one female Golden now, and almost always have 2-3 dogs at a time, so the pack-friendly mentality is best.

We're looking for a pure-bred Golden, housebroken, gentle with people and one who also 'prefers women vs. men'. I say that because while most of our male Goldens have loved women, like they all seem to, some were definitely more 'male-oriented' and hung around me and the guys much more than my wife. Others spent their whole days with her and I'd get a little playtime with them in the evenings or something.

I know it sounds like a lot of picky specs, but it's really not. They're the kind of things you quickly run through when evaluating a dog and they show themselves pretty easily.

Thanks!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've been around dogs a plenty, but never noticed the trait of preferring men to women or women to men. UNLESS it was abused by a man/woman...

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I've been around dogs a plenty, but never noticed the trait of preferring men to women or women to men. UNLESS it was abused by a man/woman...
    Working with rescues the way we have the last 20 years that's exactly what I think can be a primary issue, but not always.

For example, we've had two male Goldens over the years who would unquestionably prefer to stay with my wife in the house or on the sofa watching TV rather than be working outside with me, whereas 'my' Goldens in those same years would go bonkers if I didn't let them out to be with me no matter what I was doing. In all cases, all the dogs were 'buddy/buddy' with both my wife and myself, but showed a definite preference. None of them were necessarily 'Alpha' dogs, either. Maybe 'her' males were gay and mine weren't...???
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-18-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    ~ George Washington

Got a good friend here in Charlotte who works at a great Dane rescue. They get all breeds. I will put a feeler out for ya.

Let me check
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I'll keep my eyes and ears open man.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    Got a good friend here in Charlotte who works at a great Dane rescue. They get all breeds. I will put a feeler out for ya.
    Appreciate it.

We haven't started an active search with any of the rescue groups, including the one we've worked with for years. My wife feels that "Chester" will come along 'at the right time' and feels that if we force-fit one it would be a mistake.

I can't argue with her logic a whole lot because it seems like all of our rescues over the years have come at times and directions we hadn't planned on, thus I'm just putting the feelers out and am not really 'beating the bushes'.

Thanks again, guys.
    ~ George Washington

Woodie,

I just saw where a rescue place was raided last night in Anderson or Easley. Looks like they were taking a few Golden's out from what I saw. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were still looking. It was on channel four breaking news if you want more info.

Hows Chester doing? How old is Chester?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    Woodie,

I just saw where a rescue place was raided last night in Anderson or Easley. Looks like they were taking a few Golden's out from what I saw. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were still looking. It was on channel four breaking news if you want more info.
    I hadn't heard that, but will check on it. Please let me know if you hear anything else.

Thanks.

Edited to add...

Found it... http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...escue/24570644

I'm so pissed right now I can't talk. People like this "woman" ought to be hog-tied and beat to a pulp and then tossed in the dump. I've seen situations like this before and all I can say is our laws are nowhere near harsh enough for the 'two-legged animals' involved.

Damn...
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-20-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I hadn't heard that, but will check on it. Please let me know if you hear anything else.

Thanks.

Edited to add...

Found it... http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...escue/24570644

I'm so pissed right now I can't talk. People like this "woman" ought to be hog-tied and beat to a pulp and then tossed in the dump. I've seen situations like this before and all I can say is our laws are nowhere near harsh enough for the 'two-legged animals' involved.

Damn...
    Totally Agree!

Lock her sorry ass in a cage and don't feed her for a while so she gets a taste of her own medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    Totally Agree!

Lock her sorry ass in a cage and don't feed her for a while so she gets a taste of her own medicine.
    From the looks of her, she spent the dog food $$'s on meth.

I really hate to say we need more laws, but, dammit, after seeing a couple of these "rescue" situations where 100 or more dogs were involved, I'm thinking that anyone who 'runs a rescue', or has more than 'a dozen(?)' dogs or something, should be required to have an operating permit and get inspected by Animal Control. That's the only way it seems like these scum (who "might" mean well to start with) are kept under control.
    ~ George Washington

I've been duly informed that my wife would also be interested in a healthy (HW Negative, etc) Irish Wolfhound, preferably male.

If anyone hears of a family who needs to give up their male Golden Retriever or Irish Wolfhound, please let me know.

Yes, I am keeping an eye on all rescues I know about for about a 200 mile radius from here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-07-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    ~ George Washington