Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Westminster for those who give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by gundogguru View Post
    What you see on TV are the specials type those dogs do nothing but show period. There are a few exceptions but not many. I for one can't figure out why the lab club of America lets the judges and breeders get away with the way labs look like today in the ring. I personally don't like it and will never let one of my dogs get that big just to have it shown.
    This is why they never place in this beauty pageant. I had this conversation just last night and wonder if the lab would show better if a well trimmed lab with good lines were entered?

Fat labs suck, period... Its a damn shame to be associated with them as a breed. They may hunt and be good family dogs, but this one here will run laps around all those fat ones and still be looking for more.... and makes a great family dog, er good crow dog, er good hog dog...

DM1 - we might need to hook those two wormy looking labs up for a love making session....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Actually the dog in the bottom pic I posted was bread last week to a FC AFC out of Wisconsin.
    80-20 Genaration

Which one D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

B Bumble "Stinger" He's on Mike Lardys truck
    80-20 Genaration

gundogguru,

Good points on the parent breed clubs vs. the AKC, although the AKC has turned itself into nothing but a political 'whore club' over the years. They don't give a rat's ass about the various standards and don't try to do anything to control their judges - from a show standpoint.

No, I'm not speaking from personal experience as my wife and I got so fed up from what we were seeing when we first got into obedience and became friends with a couple of 'dual breeders' (tried to breed for field and show combined) that we decided to not get involved with the show circuit.

Also had a Samoyed breeder working for me a number of years ago and the stories he told me about how he 'finished his dog's championships' and how much is cost him was sickening.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-20-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Woodie I hate the show ring. And don't like most of the show people. There is more back stabbing with show people and drama than you can imagine.We breed Labs but mine do hunt and are very athletic. Can mine do the same thing that field labs do? For the most part. But mine aren't built like they are. As far as the judges go its all about the politics. Most of the time its whats holding the leash not the dog at the other end. That's pretty much why I don't do the show crap. My wife likes and she is pretty good at it.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

ruff.jpg MY black dog Ruff

Woodie I hate the show ring. And don't like most of the show people. There is more back stabbing with show people and drama than you can imagine.We breed Labs but mine do hunt and are very athletic. Can mine do the same thing that field labs do? For the most part. But mine aren't built like they are. As far as the judges go its all about the politics. Most of the time its whats holding the leash not the dog at the other end. That's pretty much why I don't do the show crap. My wife likes and she is pretty good at it.
    I hear ya'. That's pretty much been our experience also, with a couple of exceptions, but they seem to be few and far between.

Likewise with the 'Field Trial Labs'. I've seen many who looked like they were bred from Great Danes, so they're too far the other way.

It's like the Brits have said... "The Brits know how to breed dogs, the Americans know how to train them". There's probably a lot to that statement.

Nice pic. But I can't decide if you've started to look like your dog... or he's started to look like you.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

True show dog style looking at the camera and not down the gun to mark off of !
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    B Bumble "Stinger" He's on Mike Lardys truck

Word. They'll probably come out the womb running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I hear ya'. That's pretty much been our experience also, with a couple of exceptions, but they seem to be few and far between.

Likewise with the 'Field Trial Labs'. I've seen many who looked like they were bred from Great Danes, so they're too far the other way.

It's like the Brits have said... "The Brits know how to breed dogs, the Americans know how to train them". There's probably a lot to that statement.

Nice pic. But I can't decide if you've started to look like your dog... or he's started to look like you.

I can't go with the Brit quote. The Brit dog games are different from the American, as is their style of hunting. Both sides are breeding great dogs that suit the needs of what their intended for. The style of training is pretty different in many cases as well, therefore adding to the differences in the types of dogs being bred. Very talented trainers in both countries, but different. Besides, the Brit field dogs look much like ours in appearance.
    Last edited by mjiorle; 02-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    True show dog style looking at the camera and not down the gun to mark off of !
    LMAO

great looking dog

Quote Originally Posted by stro View Post
    great looking dog
    Thanks.