Thread: Blackbird with class

Default Blackbird with class

Not all blackbirds are worthy of being shot at the feeder. I've only seen Rusty Blackbirds several times and in out-of-the-way places like I'on Swamp and Bull's Island. They don't generally eat seeds, but I guess the weather was forcing unusual behavior.

They are considered vunerable and when flocks are found in the Carolinas, it's usually worthy of mention on the listserv. In rad bird lingo, they are 'good' birds.

Anyway, I had four come to the feeder this morning. I had to 'shoot' through glass and snow in poor lighting so this was the best shot I could get...

The one in the foreground and background are Rusties. (The two behind the pole are common grackles.)

Here's all four:

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Look like hen grackles to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    Look like hen grackles to me.
    Yeap. They look alot like female boat-tailed grackles expect they're about half the size and have the white colored eyes.

We been seeing some neat stuff the last 2 days. We had something that looked kinda like that. Only 1 bird and that got our attn:. We looked in every bird book we got ant that is alot and we came up with a European Starling. It stayed and ate through the worse of the storm. Goldfinch like I ain't seen this time of year and the Red Breasted Merganser in front of the house by itself in full breeding plumage was awsome this morning. But after looking at your pics I really can't ID that black lookin bird.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    We been seeing some neat stuff the last 2 days. We had something that looked kinda like that. Only 1 bird and that got our attn:. We looked in every bird book we got ant that is alot and we came up with a European Starling. It stayed and ate through the worse of the storm. Goldfinch like I ain't seen this time of year and the Red Breasted Merganser in front of the house by itself in full breeding plumage was awsome this morning. But after looking at your pics I really can't ID that black lookin bird.
    Starlings will have yellow bills this time of year and they usually get on the feeder not on the ground. Rusties feed on the ground.

It had a yellow bill. By itself. Amazing what shows up at the feeder when the ground has 5" of sleet on it. We watched a Vole run around like a wind up toy from outa the wood pile to the feeder. Neat to say the least and it rymes.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Female grackles are brown..... Very cool RH!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

our feeders were empty we got back in town yesterday. I refilled last night and spread a half a bag of seed across ice and damn at all the birds this am. pretty cool
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    our feeders were empty we got back in town yesterday. I refilled last night and spread a half a bag of seed across ice and damn at all the birds this am. pretty cool
    They are fun to watch for sure. During the snow a couple weeks ago I had a banded Pine Siskin show up on the suet feeder at the kitchen window. I took pictures of that thing off and on all day and not a single one turned out well enough to ID.

Ruby crown kinglets showed me their crown yesterday. That and we just received one of the most plummed out Downys I have ever seen. They are mowing down some hand sown seed these days.