Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: boykin

She has a better nose, has a better prey drive and will go places most labs will not go.

Surely you are joking. I have a lot of respect for Boykins, but your thought process above is just about stupid.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Jesus boy asked just a simple opinion and a bunch of people act like kids and argue.

Mods better move this to the retriever forum. It will be the manliest thread in there.

Good idear.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Buncha damn kweers. This is what you need.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Buncha damn kweers. This is what you need.......

Beautiful Chesapeake, Is that fescue?
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 02-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    You think labs aren't fast and can't retrieve a swan? I've seen a lot of Chessies, and no doubt some were great retrievers, but there's a reason most duck dogs are labs. I'm not bashing Chessies by any means because I have seen some great ones.
    You know I've never given much thought to the speed of a Labrador retriever. I'm sure some are quite speedy. Of course I'm sure someone has put a clock to one, just not me. All I know for sure is that I've always heard how fast some guys lab was in a rice field only to find that a Boykin was faster. But what does faster get you? .......... Besides lunch if your Boykin wins.

Now I guess a rice field might not be the most difficult terrain. It's not a dove field but I didn't choose it either.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou pirate View Post
    You know I've never given much thought to the speed of a Labrador retriever. I'm sure some are quite speedy. Of course I'm sure someone has put a clock to one, just not me. All I know for sure is that I've always heard how fast some guys lab was in a rice field only to find that a Boykin was faster. But what does faster get you? .......... Besides lunch if your Boykin wins.

Now I guess a rice field might not be the most difficult terrain. It's not a dove field but I didn't choose it either.
    Yes, Boykins appear fast because they are spastic, but go watch any hunt test, and you'll see how relatively slow they are. Haven't put a watch to it, but boykins take a LOT longer to pick up three marks (on land, water, rice field, dove field, any field) than a lab.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    She has a better nose, has a better prey drive and will go places most labs will not go.

Surely you are joking. I have a lot of respect for Boykins, but your thought process above is just about stupid.
    Yep. That's crazy talk

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    Yes, Boykins appear fast because they are spastic, but go watch any hunt test, and you'll see how relatively slow they are. Haven't put a watch to it, but boykins take a LOT longer to pick up three marks (on land, water, rice field, dove field, any field) than a lab.
    Well I'll take spastic over lethargic on most days. As to dog games the HRC events I've seen and or participated in its difficult for me to see how labs are quicker when on average they require more handling a LOT more to complete their runs.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinCosta View Post
    Beautiful Chesapeake, Is that fescue?

I'll cut you.

And no, that's 'Muda. But if you need some fescue, I've got 10 acres of it in Ehrhardt.

Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Well I'll take spastic over lethargic on most days. As to dog games the HRC events I've seen and or participated in its difficult for me to see how labs are quicker when on average they require more handling a LOT more to complete their runs.
    So you now think Boykins handle better and labs are lethargic? Out of the many Master and Finished tests I've been to, I have somehow missed the fast Boykins that handle well. Here's the truth: Boykins are are slow and they don't handle well on average. On the other hand, they shed less and are great in a boat if you hunt out of small canoes. Oh yeah, they're good at dove hunting too!

I'll preface this by saying that this is not a slam on boykins, as I have somewhat of a "hater" reputation among the LBD people, but the statement above is absolute and utter horseshit.

Y'all are cracking me up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that this is not a slam on boykins, as I have somewhat of a "hater" reputation among the LBD people, but the statement above is absolute and utter horseshit.

I was trying to be nice about it, but this is an accurate statement. I realize Bayou may live Boykins, but let's be realistic here! Anyone who has seen labs and Boykins run the same setups can tell you Boykins are significantly slower, and don't handle better than labs. Based upon Bayou's observations, I guess he hasn't seen many HRC or AKC tests, or at least not many higher level ones.

I don't get the lab vs Boykin comparisons. They were bred for different traits. My lab was very easy to train and does well in big water , but is a terrible dove dog during the peak dove season. Boykins don't seem to be quite as easy to train nor to please in general , but are fully capable to being just as good with the average trainer and they are much better with quail and doves. Boykins " won't rock the boat" . It could just be the ones I am familiar with, but Boykins seem to be much more aggressive towards other dogs and not as by-the-side as labs. It is all preference. I love my lab, but grew up with boykins. An "ideal" gun dog is in the eye of the beholder. There is not standard for all hunters. For me it just happens to be small (65lbs) labs are ideal for my sitatuion.

Though for someone new to dog training, labs are much easier.
    Last edited by 803; 02-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    I don't get the lab vs Boykin comparisons. They were bred for different traits. My lab was very easy to train and does well in big water , but is a terrible dove dog during the peak dove season. Boykins don't seem to be quite as easy to train nor to please in general , but are fully capable to being just as good with the average trainer and they are much better with quail and doves. Boykins " won't rock the boat" It is all preference. I love my lab, but grew up with boykins. An "ideal" gun dog is in the eye of the beholder. There is not standard for all hunters.

Very, very well said....

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    I don't get the lab vs Boykin comparisons. They were bred for different traits. My lab was very easy to train and does well in big water , but is a terrible dove dog during the peak dove season. Boykins don't seem to be quite as easy to train nor to please in general , but are fully capable to being just as good with the average trainer and they are much better with quail and doves. Boykins " won't rock the boat" . It could just be the ones I am familiar with, but Boykins seem to be much more aggressive towards other dogs and not as by-the-side as labs. It is all preference. I love my lab, but grew up with boykins. An "ideal" gun dog is in the eye of the beholder. There is not standard for all hunters. For me it just happens to be small (65lbs) labs are ideal for my sitatuion.

Though for someone new to dog training, labs are much easier.

Right on the money !!!!!! I have owned all three. But if I could only have one dog for all my hunting, a 65 pound chocolate lab would be my choice. My son has one now. Darn good dog.

2th's Boykin is way better at catching rats than my lab.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue