Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: boykin

I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    Griffin You don't know shit about dogs.

its not always the size of the dog that hunts. Its the size of the hunt in the dog.

Word.

Just damn! That is all I got!

its not always the size of the dog that hunts. Its the size of the hunt in the dog.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

wow your dog can drag a floating swan. That takes what maybe 5 pounds of force? Where is the picture of it holding it? Like I said all boykin owners feel the need to justify why they own a lesser waterfowl dog. The fact that you needed to post that picture proves the point. Own what makes you happy but when someone asks what the better dog to buy is lets get real and give honest answers. I'm still waiting for all these boykins to name one thing a boykin is better at than a lab.........
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I am a lifelong Chesapeake owner/hunter and I can honestly say a Boykin is a better dove dog than either a lab or chessie.

Quote Originally Posted by timwill View Post
    I am a lifelong Chesapeake owner/hunter and I can honestly say a Boykin is a better dove dog than either a lab or chessie.
    I knew someone would say something about a Boykin being a "dove dog"!

id be scared to own a lab if it turned me into as big of vagina as griffin is being

Never ever spoil your bird dawg

My son's boykin is a hoot and he's fetched a swan in a field that wasn't clear. He loves to fish with me but he knows my son is his master.

Does this mean I'm gonna have sand in my mangina when I pick another lab puppy in about six weeks and start trashing other breeds?
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

"more"....you left off the "more".

More sand? You bitch, I kill you last.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

After reading these few pages it is easy to see that their will be a shortage of Boykin pups this spring.

I have owned Boykins, Labs, and Chessies. They are ALL great dogs and some do things better than others. My Boykin was the best dove dog I ever had. Labs and Chessies were great duck dogs. All of them will hunt and make great companions. I will say the Boykin and my 125 pound Chessie were my favorites. No one messed with that big block head Chessie.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    I have owned Boykins, Labs, and Chessies. They are ALL great dogs and some do things better than others. My Boykin was the best dove dog I ever had. Labs and Chessies were great duck dogs. All of them will hunt and make great companions. I will say the Boykin and my 125 pound Chessie were my favorites. No one messed with that big block head Chessie.
    All dogs with a desire to retrieve are great dove dogs because it's the easiest thing they can do in the hunting world.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    You set a very good example for someone to follow. If a big dog is what you want, one that is fast and can hold a swan then a chessie is the way to go. No other big retriever could hold a candle to it. Plus you get a four legged security system as a bonus. And should you find your self wanting to dabble in the HRC games you don't have to worry yourself with thoughts that at some point you would be accused of holding things up.

I like labs and boykins . Get one that you think is right for you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou pirate View Post
    You set a very good example for someone to follow. If a big dog is what you want, one that is fast and can hold a swan then a chessie is the way to go. No other big retriever could hold a candle to it.
    You think labs aren't fast and can't retrieve a swan? I've seen a lot of Chessies, and no doubt some were great retrievers, but there's a reason most duck dogs are labs. I'm not bashing Chessies by any means because I have seen some great ones.

There is a reason, and that is almost every household that owns a dog, owns a lab. Nothing wrong with any of them, just like any other breed certain dogs are better than others, I have seen and owned some dumbshit labs. I am sure there are some dumbshit boykins and chessies. But to say any lab is a better hunting dog than all is kind of a stupid comment.

Quote Originally Posted by PP&WS View Post
    There is a reason, and that is almost every household that owns a dog, owns a lab. Nothing wrong with any of them, just like any other breed certain dogs are better than others, I have seen and owned some dumbshit labs. I am sure there are some dumbshit boykins and chessies. But to say any lab is a better hunting dog than all is kind of a stupid comment.
    I'm not saying every lab is better, but they (this includes Chessies too) are built better for duck hunting. There is no doubt that labs are stronger/faster swimmers, and get through/over/around cover significantly quicker than a Boykin.

The OP asked about a dog that would be good for dove AND duck hunting, and while a Boykin is fine for doves, a lab is equally as good, and significantly better for duck/goose hunting.

This thread seems like such bait but I cant resist. I don't think there is a "superior" dog, that is just me.

I have had both. I have a female boykin right now. Without a doubt my lab was superior in the water and in the cold. I think few will argue with anyone here that a lab is hard to beat in cold, big water. However, in a swamp or small body of water a boykin will suffice. Also, a Boykin is easier in the boat than a normal sized lab. On land, I will take a boykin all day long. She has a better nose, has a better prey drive and will go places most labs will not go.

Its all about preference. There are good things and bad things about both. I will say as far as heart, a great companion, and overall badass dog. Ill take a BOYKIN all day