Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boykin/Black Lab mix pupp?

Default Boykin/Black Lab mix pupp?

The wife and I have been wanting a family dog for awhile now. The wife was set on getting a labradoodle, I wanted either a lab or Boykin. My wife found a litter of a "Full blooded" Black lab and a "National champion" Boykin. The price is excellent (by price I mean I paid for his first shots), any of you guys have a lab/Boykin mix? If so how's the shedding? This will be my first "bird dog"

EDIT: I've received a few pm's about the litter, I got the last pup in the litter.
    Last edited by Waldo; 01-24-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Is that the new designer breed or was it just an accident, if it was just an accident I am surprised they are charging anything for a "mut"

As far as hunting goes it probably would be pretty good .
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

I had one (accidental breeding) about 26 years ago and he was a machine. Looked like a smaller chessie with a brown wavy coat. Mine was a great dog.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

I have a buddy that adopted one that was an accident. He's a good dog, a little obsesive about things, but a good dog. He is more of a pet than a hunting dog, but he does alright in the dove field.

Here he is:

Loves the water..........will literally dive down several feet and pick rocks and sticks up off the bottom........I'm talking fully submerged, to the point you can't even see him.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 01-23-2014 at 08:05 AM.

I'd say go for it. It's the two dogs you were debating on all rolled into one. Should have a good bit of natural instinct considering the parents.

Loves the water..........will literally dive down several feet and pick rocks and sticks up off the bottom........I'm talking fully submerged, to the point you can't even see him.
    When I was a kid, my daddy had a black lab that would retrieve rocks outta the lake for hours on end. He would bring them to the bank, and I shit you not, sort them into 3 piles. Small, medium and large. Some of those big rocks he brought out I'm not sure how he toted. He too would disappear under the water searching for rocks. Weird, but kinda cool to have seen.
    \"How rich will we be when we have converted all our forests, all our soil, all our water resources and our minerals into cash?\" - Ding Darling

EDIT: Sorry, I was being a snob. Call our fine sponsor Rhett at Bay Creek kennels. He is a certified Boykin whisperer and would do a damn fine job of training it for you.

I understand he's also running a 10% discount special right now. Keycode "Please Explain"

Have fun and good luck!
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 01-23-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    EDIT: Sorry, I was being a snob. Call our fine sponsor Rhett at Bay Creek kennels. He is a certified Boykin whisperer and would do a damn fine job of training it for you.

I understand he's also running a 10% discount special right now. Keycode "Please Explain"

Have fun and good luck!
    No need to say sorry to me. I understand it gets frustrating when people like myself get on here uneducated and start asking questions. I was panicking when i asked the question. My wife messaged me while i was at work and said she was on her way to look at them, which means she isn't leaving without one. I've been looking into the parents they seem legit, from a private message I've received makes me feel even a little better about it. If the dog is a turd at retrieving the I'll just have a family dog. I'll post of some pictures of him when I get home.
    Last edited by Waldo; 01-23-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I have a lab/Boykin mix. No papers. Great dog. Listens good. High drive. Just gun shy (my fault).
    Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you ever sneak out of the house or do something you weren't supposed to do when you were growing up? Did anyone cut your balls off because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    No need to say sorry to me. I understand it gets frustrating when people like myself get on here uneducated and start asking questions. I was panicking when i asked the question. My wife messaged me while i was at work and said she was on her way to look at them, which means she isn't leaving without one. I've been looking into the parents they seem legit, from a private message I've received makes me feel even a little better about it. If the dog is a turd at retrieving the I'll just have a family dog. I'll post of some pictures of him when I get home.
    Some of the best dogs I had growing up were mixes.
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

You should buy a Yeti from Feetdown to go with the dog
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinCosta View Post
    Hell, I'll match the 10% discount too, Keycode: "labkin spantriever"

You mean "Labroken".

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinCosta View Post
    A YETI? YETII? I dont got no monies for one of those! haha But in all honesty I'm about as uneducated about gun dogs as it gets. But I do have plans to take the time to educate myself and find a trainer for the pup as well. So now that I have the dog and got more information from my wife, and a fella on here through PM, and the Facebook page Rolling Road Retrievers that the dog came from, this is what information i have so far. The litter was an accidental breeding from the Boykin named Cash. This is from a photo on their FB page ((HR "Fist Full of Dollars" MH NCH05 - "Cash". He was not quite 13 months old when he won the Boykin Spaniel Society Novice National Championship, competing against 70+ other Boykins from across the country. He is a wonderful competitor and companion, as well as an outstanding producing sire. He is currently the #4 UKC Boykin Top Producing Sire, based on offspring that have achieved performance titles. The female is a black lab named Bessie, I dont have any information on her. I have yet to talk to Chad Funderburk but he has offered to spend a day with me, when the pup gets around 3 months teaching me a few things.
    Last edited by Waldo; 01-23-2014 at 01:47 PM.

I am a lab guy, but I've always said if I could get a good mix that I would go for it. I would say it will probably shed less than lab, too. My yellow lab is a great hunting dog, but the amount she sheds is unbelievable! The dog will be what you make if it. Put time in and you will have a great dog

Posted for Waldo. Meet Murphy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Thanks! His name was going to be Tucker but my 3 year old daughter kept saying phucker, so we somehow came to decide on Murphy. . .

It won't be long before you realize she's smarter than you

I'll bet he likes birds. And I'll bet he'll be smart...all he knows is that he's a dog. Ol' Phucker, or Murphy, or whatever y'all call him doesn't know that he's a mutt.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Thanks! His name was going to be Tucker but my 3 year old daughter kept saying phucker, so we somehow came to decide on Murphy. . .