Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SC Solo Species #22

I don't. It was on my phone, which took a dip on the next trip. He was an immature drake or just not yet plumed out. Very big bird. Definitely not a red breasted. This was a single.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    I Shot a common merg in a marsh pothole while teal hunting this year. Never even seen one before then.
    Really?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Not during teal season. We were targeting teal. That is 99 percent of what we see out there. Sorry for the bad wording.

It was in the month of December! Just to further clarify...

The innernet wardens were about to crucify your ass. You got lucky, bro.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

Whew!

I had the nails and hammer ready...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Last evening, I had a chance to mess with some photos of the whole bird. I like this one best but it's not the photo I was hoping to get.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

How many NEW species did you knock out this year? (so far)

Now, I REALLY wish I had taken better pictures of my slam.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    How many NEW species did you knock out this year? (so far)
    Just the one but I've killed 16 different species this season just 15 of them I've killed before.

I've been after a goldeneye but have not seen one in many years. I've got all the common stuff so common goldeneye and old squaw are the next best bets.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Now, I REALLY wish I had taken better pictures of my slam.
    If I hadn't had to hit this guy twice, I might have had a 'right-left' double with a black scoter. He was flying with a group of blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Just the one but I've killed 16 different species this season just 15 of them I've killed before.
    That's dang impressive. I've only killed 10, but I have scratched 2 more species off my list this year.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    That's dang impressive. I've only killed 10, but I have scratched 2 more species off my list this year.
    Here's my 16 for this season:
    Blue Winged Teal
    Woodduck
    Lesser Scaup
    Gadwall
    Shoveler
    White-winged Scoter
    Green Winged Teal
    Surf Scoter
    Canvasback
    Redhead
    Mottled Duck
    Bufflehead
    Ruddy Duck
    Red-breasted Merganser
    Ringneck
    Mallard

(Lord willing, I'l pick up another tomorrow)

What were you new species this year?

Cinnamon teal and Common merg.

Well rub it in why don't cha haha

I want a cinnamon.

And a Messican mallard.

Bad-like.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I want a plumed cinnamon...bad-like. I whiffed something terrible this past Sunday at the first one I've had a shot at. I'm pretty sure when I realized it was a cinnamon, my head came up off the stock and my eyes got huge, hence the miss.
    Last edited by quackaddict; 01-17-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I drool thinking about a fully plummed cinnamon.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Cinnamon teal and Common merg.
    That's two good ones - I should have guessed the cinnamon.

I swear the SC Common Merganser is elusive; hunters say they kill them and birders say they see them but when it comes to brass tacks very few folks can actually provide documentation. One of the 'moderators' on the bird hotline, a Citadel Professor of biology, had a bit of an on-line temper tantrum and told folks to quit reporting common mergansers. He said he was tired of driving for hours to see red-breasted mergansers and common loons.

I've only seen one photo of a live SC Common Loon and it was an immature or a girl.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 01-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.