Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Shop Design

Default Work Shop Design

For those of you that have a backyard shop, post up some pics! I'm trying to decide the size, layout, and style of building that I want now. It will have a concrete floor of course, but haven't decided on metal or wood siding yet.

I've got a 30x24 pole barn. It's decent, but it became too small, too quickly. Also, it's cold in winter and hot as hell in the summer.

If I were to ever actually replace it, I'd build it like a house.

That's my $0.02.

Going to build mine with the house soon. 80X40X12 post and beam wood with insulation and infill and a garage system at one end.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

28X32, 10 foot ceilings is the ticket. Wood covered with vinyl but may pull it off and go with something else. About to do some roof work, hopefully insulate and sheath interior and put a good ceiling in. Tax refund....Some background pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigBallin; 01-08-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

finished mine up last spring. its 44x20 with a 16x20 enclosed section. 8x8 roll up door. i had a good bit of free material and built it my self for less than $4500 including concrete. the roof line looks like it does because my dad had 11 sheets of 2'x32' tin left over from his last job. that in itself saved me around 1k.

you should price the prefab metal buildings first. for a shop of this size with this high of a ceiling i was looking at about 8-9 grand without concrete, and i dont think i could have built this one for that much if i would have had to buy everything. building materials are not cheap.

and like others have said. build it bigger than you think you need. im wishing now i had another 8-10' in the enclosed section

within the next few weeks im adding an 8' lean too off the back of the middle bay for a fish cleaning station.

Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 01-08-2014 at 02:14 PM.

I used box trusses for my roof. That gave me a room upstairs.

Build it as big as you can afford.

Pops has a 24'x30' (roughly) witha 10' lean to on one side and a 12' lean to on the other. If it were me, I would have built it (at least) 30'x40' with a 12' lean to on each side.

We did all metal and 6"x6" posts with about 12' or so to the bottom cord of the trusses. Used the thin sheet bubble insulation (R-7 I think) and in the winter with a wood burning stove it will run you out of there.

Here is a shot of the inside after we did the floors with the quikrete floor covering.

I used (4) 8' 2 bulb t12 fixtures inside and 2 under each roof on the outside.

We went with a 20' door on the front and used an old 10' or 8' door on the rear.

2 windows down one side 1 window and one access door on the other.

Built shelving at about 10' down one side and about a 1/3 of the other. Good for getting the seasonal stuff out of the way and stuff you don't use all of the time.

Also built a storage loft above the back garage door for more shit. The biggest thing with a garage is keeping stuff up off of the floor.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Currently mine is 30x30 x14ft. w/ 6" concrete floor , but when I built it I left 20 ft on each side open for future expansion. My plan is to have a finished 60 'w x 30'd shop with 3 separate sections. A wood shop on one side , 4 post lift for auto repair in the center , and cook shed / dog house in the other. Whatever you build , either go bigger leave room for expansion . I will load pics later.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. -

I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    Pops has a 24'x30' (roughly) witha 10' lean to on one side and a 12' lean to on the other. If it were me, I would have built it (at least) 30'x40' with a 12' lean to on each side.

We did all metal and 6"x6" posts with about 12' or so to the bottom cord of the trusses. Used the thin sheet bubble insulation (R-7 I think) and in the winter with a wood burning stove it will run you out of there.

Here is a shot of the inside after we did the floors with the quikrete floor covering.

I used (4) 8' 2 bulb t12 fixtures inside and 2 under each roof on the outside.

We went with a 20' door on the front and used an old 10' or 8' door on the rear.

2 windows down one side 1 window and one access door on the other.

Built shelving at about 10' down one side and about a 1/3 of the other. Good for getting the seasonal stuff out of the way and stuff you don't use all of the time.

Also built a storage loft above the back garage door for more shit. The biggest thing with a garage is keeping stuff up off of the floor.

Now this is what I would need. Do you know how much it set him back?

Oh boy, do I need to dig out my pics?
    More fuel = more boost!!

I have a 12x24 wood building with a 12x24 lean-to off the back. I am about to enclose the lean-to and add a floor making the heated space a 24x24. Then going to add another 12x24 lean-to off the back. I'll echo what everyone above me has stated....build it bigger than you need. Figure out the size you think you need, then triple it.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by penetrator View Post
    Now this is what I would need. Do you know how much it set him back?
    PM sent.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

even though his studio is set up for filmmaking, there are some cool ideas how you could structure tools, chargers, etc.

Build 25% larger than you think you need or leave the opportunity to add on when you lay out your plans. I have a 50x72 with 12 foot ceilings to accommodate a car lift and 10 foot garage doors. T-Top boats need a 10-12 foot tall door.

In all practicality do not build a 50 by 50 with 1 garage door to store trucks, trailers and cars. What all are you planning to store in it? If you give me an idea of the items to be stored and features desired I will draw it in AutoCAD for you.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to hear/see who has a boat storage (with t-top) garage. How was it designed? Post & beam or Metal?

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to hear/see who has a boat storage (with t-top) garage. How was it designed? Post & beam or Metal?
    I do. Off the side of main building. Post and beam as you call it. At the back of that I have a storage room built for all the shit to keep it out my shop.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Just given a shop by my dad is is terminally ill. prob 40x45. built years ago from blocks and trusses from a Ryder shop we tore down. He's 89 came through the Depression and brought home everything he could. I have spent hours in there and still can't make a dent. He could do it all. 8th grd ed. Just show him how to do something 1 time and he would be showing you how to do it

Thanks Pop. Love you and gonna really miss you. When you get to Heaven tell Mom Hello
    Last edited by bluetick1955; 01-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    I have posted this, but here is my setup:

Mostly Finished:

That's Nice
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1955 View Post
    That's Nice
    He used to iron his boxers in high school. Would you expect anything less than fancy.