Thread: Yamaha outboard controls?

Default Yamaha outboard controls?

Ok, so I'm looking to do some horse trading with a motor I acquired recently in order to end up with an upgrade. My question is about the controls compatibility. I currently have an '85 70 Yamaha without controls. If I had a boat with a newer 2 stroke Yamaha, say early to mid 2000's in the 50-70hp range, would the steering controls bolt right up if I removed the newer motor and substituted it with the older one?

Essentially I'm willing to purchase a whole boat package if it has the right motor, only to turn and flip it with the older motor for not much of a loss thus giving me the upgrade I want without having to spend a buncha money.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-29-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Steering cables are universal, I'm sure you know this but don't force it in. Be sure it is smooth, if not it will be a future problem. Lots of grease.
    I still fly that southern flag.
    Whistling Dixie loud enough to brag.

Steering will be the same. Just keep the drag link attached to motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

How bout the electrical harness coming from the ignition/console? Is the connector on the motor end of the harness the same from year to year or did Yamaha change it at any point between '85 and the early 2000's?

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Not sure about that. Have them text you a pic of connections and plugs to compare.
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

The only difference I have seen on wiring harnesses is some are 10 pin and some are 13 pin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

^ that's what I was afraid of. Thanks y'all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SCH2Ofowler View Post
    The only difference I have seen on wiring harnesses is some are 10 pin and some are 13 pin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    There may be an adapter for that though. I will try to check with my YAMI rep tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    There may be an adapter for that though. I will try to check with my YAMI rep tomorrow.
    I had to make an adapter and probably still have it if he he needs it.

Here is the wire harness. Scroll down to models used on.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...58A-20-00.html

Thanks GC. Looks like that style harness went from 84-93. If I have a schematic and the parts I can work some magic from there with a few hours, some heat shrink and a soldering iron. There's a few wires that wouldn't be used when going from a 13 to a 10 pin anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"schematic"? Are you sure you know what you're talking bout?

it's ok everyone. I'm a professional...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Thanks GC. Looks like that style harness went from 84-93. If I have a schematic and the parts I can work some magic from there with a few hours, some heat shrink and a soldering iron. There's a few wires that wouldn't be used when going from a 13 to a 10 pin anyway.

Also was used on quite a few models from 99 -03. The difference was what control (shifter) was used.

Good news. From the list you posted it looked like they stopped using it in 93, but I could have missed something. Of course, all this depends on which motor I end up with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]