Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tater farm threatening the Edisto River

If the edisto ran into another state, and that state depended on the water from the Edisto to provide irrigation to existing crops, and drinking water for said state, do you think that other state would launch a lawsuit?

Not taking a side.

Just playing devil's advocate.

I mean hell, I was part of the crowd what talked DHEC into letting us build 5 hog houses...upstream of a water shed.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Fuck each and every one of you liberal anti farming cocksuckers who are stupid enough to buy into these bullshit scare tactics.

I like the way it rolls off yer tongue, say it with me a coupla times.

Fuck each and every one of you liberal anti farming cocksuckers who are stupid enough to buy into these bullshit scare tactics.

Now, go back to stiffling america saving a damn snowy owl.

What it boils down to is this state does not have water rights in the same context of say Western states that tightly manage surface withdrawl. Frankly I would be more concerned with groundwater withdrawl than surface withdrawl. If this tater farm, which has properly requested permitting does not take the water, is that setting precedent that no one else on the river can take any water? Will you actually notice any difference in water flowing down the river if they? I would wager to guess that even small rivers flow a lot more water than anyone of us uneducated hydrologists is guessing.

From the farming perspective, if we run this farm off are we as a state saying we do not welcome agribusiness? Agriculture is a big part of this states economy but the fact is SC is way behind every other state in the SE in terms of farming. All of the other states ag economies dwarf ours and for no good reason other than we have not made it a priority in several parts of state government. Our current Sec of Ag is doing a great job promoting and drawing agribusiness to this state but we have a lot of ground to make up. A state with such rich agrian history is at the back of the pack today and that is a shame. Our state has rich soil and ample resources to support a strong farm economy but yet we don't welcome an out of state farm. Have any of y'all thought that maybe these guys would move a substantial part of their farm to this state and maybe the other industry that could develop to support the agricultural community (i.e. processing plants, dealerships, consultants, etc)? Many on this site are quick to welcome other industries to this state but cry foul as soon as a big family farm wants to come, nevermind that these farms provide a hell of a lot more wildlife food than any other industry.
    cut\'em

That very thing happens here nearly every year with the Chattahoochee watershed system... AL and FL constantly sue the City of Atlanta and the state of Georgia to try and prevent "over harvest" of water..

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    If the edisto ran into another state, and that state depended on the water from the Edisto to provide irrigation to existing crops, and drinking water for said state, do you think that other state would launch a lawsuit?

Not taking a side.

I mean hell, I was part of the crowd what talked DHEC into letting us build 5 hog houses...upstream of a water shed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sen Chip Campsen is introducing legislations regarding this farm's intended water usage, but I haven't read any of the proposed legislation. Duct Tape, Care to weigh in.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by surfcock; 01-15-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

Not taking a side.

Texas and Mexico do it all the time with the state of NM and the Rio...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold