Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 week

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    I understand that "teen" temperatures are not good for most fields. I spoke with the outfitter yesterday and he clearly stated they had means of keeping the fields open in event of very low temperatures. He may be full of shit, but he already has our money so I highly doubt he would lie. But it is possible. These fellas have been nothing but great to work with throughout this whole planning. Im going to have a blast if it's in teens then it's in the teens. I don't have much of a say so in it.
    Who are you going with?

Pumps will keep a field open..no ifs, ands or butts....DM#1 feel free to chime in on this one any time ya want!!!

Birds will generally hold tight in the large reservoirs with open water and not move around a lot when it gets that cold. Water > food. A mallard can go a significant amount of time longer without eating versus not drinking!! He's got to have water!!

They know when a system of cold-freezing weather is getting ready to roll through...they'll "power feed" and start packing themselves to the gills a day or so before the weather sets in up to the point that the fields actually freeze...after they have power fed they're "good" to go for a "few" days...which explains why people normally say that it's not good on a freeze...that's generally on a short 1-2 day freeze...

On the other hand....if you have a deep hard freeze ...like what we're getting ready to experience out there for 5+ days AND you have the ability to keep water open.....that's when it becomes very bloody!!!
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

PS

Make sure to make a trip to Josie's, D Shack, and Mel's steakhouse
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

I will be out there friday-tuesday. Trying to come up with a strategy since i suspect everything will be frozen.

Frozen water makes duck leave. I have hunted many a freeze in Ark. It is not good. I will be there all next week. You should not go. Save your money. Be sure to put a big Clemson sticker on your truck before leaving the public landing. They have a hospitality committee that will leave you a goodie bag full of hunting stuff.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 12-04-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Frozen water makes duck leave. I have hunted many a freeze in Ark. It is not good. I will be there all next week. You should not go. Save your money. Be sure to put a big Clemson sticker on your truck before leaving the public landing. They have a hospitality committee that will leave you a goodie bag full of hunting stuff.
    You're a dumbass
    Last edited by Jay; 12-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.

You don't even have to tell me your a politician.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

Tee,

Go have a ball. I hope that your trip will be a great time!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

If your guide drives his tractor around the field to bust up the ice, ask for your money back. Ducks will not land in a slushy.

Water under trees stays frozen longer than fields. Sunshine melts the fields first.

Jay, what could you have possibly edited. LOL

Water under trees stays frozen longer than fields. Sunshine melts the fields first.

Jay, what could you have possibly edited. LOL
    your > you're. Didn't want to look like a dumbass while calling someone a dumbass.

If your guide drives his tractor around the field to bust up the ice, ask for your money back. Ducks will not land in a slushy.
    He said him and his other guides would drive out in it with their four-wheelers. I take it that won't work either?

OK genius, what plan did you come up with to deal with the temps?
    Fri 34 high 20 low
    Sat 31 / 27
    Sun 32 / 26
    Mon 37 /12
    Tues 29/17
    Wed 36/20
    Thurs 43/28
    Fri 46/34

Pbiz is right. Frozen water in Ark will ruin your, you'er, your'e yall's hunt.

Catahoula will be on FI-YA!
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Good luck pal!
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

There is only one method of busting ice that has ever worked for me. If you slowly break 10 foot sections and slide them under the surrounding ice you can open a 40 foot hole. Never make it slushy. Ducks will not come to it. It is work but if ducks fly they will use it. Do not overstuff the hole with decoys.

If they pipe the warmer ground water to a location it will also keep a small area open. Most pumps are located in the highest potion of field and blinds are in the lowest. It is difficult to get enough warmer water to where the blind is without piping it. Turn the final section upward so the current makes ripples on the top. Place decoys in the moving water.

I have tried the black plastic trick but it did not work for me.

I'll be out their Friday - Tuesday tee . Il send pics to confirm if ducks are their or not. You will have a blast regardless of the total of kills. When freezing , the woods will be on fire. Just turn you motor on your boat and nose the front of your boat into a tree and let the prop keep the hole clean . Done it before and the ducks don't pay the motor any attention . Good luck dawg,

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Pumping a field won't do much to keep a field open if it's in the teens.
    This is completely false!!

Tee,

If they have their pumps setup correctly, you'll have clean/open water to hunt over.

OK genius, what plan did you come up with to deal with the temps?
    Fri 34 high 20 low
    Sat 31 / 27
    Sun 32 / 26
    Mon 37 /12
    Tues 29/17
    Wed 36/20
    Thurs 43/28
    Fri 46/34

Pbiz is right. Frozen water in Ark will ruin your, you'er, your'e yall's hunt.
    Well the plan that I came up with was this...

Pick a outfitter who has means of keeping water open. And they use pumps. I imagine they know a tad bit more about hunting ducks in Arkansas than a politician in Florence SC does.