Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 week

Default 1 week

From tomorrow I'll finally get to see what Arkansas is all about. And the weather seems to be playing in our favor.

Snow/Ice/COLD.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

You will have a blas4. If the birds are heavy it's unreal and you won't want to come home.

Snow ice cold ain't it..

36, blue skies and 15 mph winds are.. "It"
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I don't know about R-can-saw, but I'll take blue skies and light winds(5-15s) any day out here over snow and ice.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

You want be so excited about hunting around here anymore.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Good luck man, I know you're excited.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Snow ice cold ain't it..

36, blue skies and 15 mph winds are.. "It"
    Might not be "it" but it's better than current weather out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    You want be so excited about hunting around here anymore.
    So I've heard. lol

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Good luck man, I know you're excited.
    I am indeed. Thanks!

Just dont go and tell anybody you are from South Carolina. What part of the state are you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Just dont go and tell anybody you are from South Carolina. What part of the state are you going to?
    So I've heard. lol And Northeast

In Nebraska now and there is nothing but mallards and geese feeding in the fields. Luckily we have a warm water slew that is holding some birds. Going to be 0 here by Friday and everything will be locked up except the Platt River, which will begin to freeze. As soon as the snow cover hits the mallards will leave. In the next week the mallards should be thick in the central US. Oh yea we killed enough to speak of. Nice being able to kill 5 mallards a day!

I'll be out there in a month for the first time in a few seasons.

It's over due.

Good luck Tee.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    In Nebraska now and there is nothing but mallards and geese feeding in the fields. Luckily we have a warm water slew that is holding some birds. Going to be 0 here by Friday and everything will be locked up except the Platt River, which will begin to freeze. As soon as the snow cover hits the mallards will leave. In the next week the mallards should be thick in the central US. Oh yea we killed enough to speak of. Nice being able to kill 5 mallards a day!
    That's one thing Im liking is the lows are in the teens. The fields we will be hunting are pumped so they won't be froze over. Hopefully the pattern won't change between now and then.

I dont get it? Water will freeze in the teens. Should the field not already be pumped up and the pump no longer running?

You should have a decent amount of birds down to have a good hunt. Been dry out there. We need rain.

And "it" is 40 degrees, bluebird sky, 15mph south wind

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    That's one thing Im liking is the lows are in the teens. The fields we will be hunting are pumped so they won't be froze over. Hopefully the pattern won't change between now and then.
    A pumped field will freeze just like anything else. If it warms up during the day plan on sleeping in and hunting mid afternoon. It can get good when the ice starts to thaw and the sun comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post

And "it" is 40 degrees, bluebird sky, 15mph south wind
    ^^^^This. Two days before cold/snow/ice gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I dont get it? Water will freeze in the teens. Should the field not already be pumped up and the pump no longer running?
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    A pumped field will freeze just like anything else. If it warms up during the day plan on sleeping in and hunting mid afternoon. It can get good when the ice starts to thaw and the sun comes out.
    "We have pumps in place for keeping the fields from freezing over."

I imagine they know what they are doing.

Good Luck white sunglasses. Be courteous, and pick your shots. Aim. Dont rush anything out there.

You will enjoy the fields and pits, but the timber is where "it" is.

I will be just east of ya the day after Christmas, I just hope the deep freeze doesnt get there before I do. Its gonna be one cold ass winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Good Luck white sunglasses. Be courteous, and pick your shots. Aim. Dont rush anything out there.

You will enjoy the fields and pits, but the timber is where "it" is.

I will be just east of ya the day after Christmas, I just hope the deep freeze doesnt get there before I do. Its gonna be one cold ass winter.
    We are doing both. Hunting the fields Friday, Timber Saturday, then venturing off into the Public Water world for 2 days.

Tee,
    I have been hunting out there for a while. Guides will tell you all sorts of bullshit when your from out of state. Pumping a field won't do much to keep a field open if it's in the teens. Not to mention it costs a lot to pump a field. My guess is your going to be sitting in a frozen field if it's in the teens come 6am. About the only thing that will open up a hole and keep it open when it's that cold is an ice eater. Do yourself a favor and sit it out and wait on the birds. Don't let the guides tell you all hope is lost, the ducks just aren't flying, etc etc. if it's really froze up, you don't have much hope. But if it's just sheet ice, and it starts to thaw mid day....well then it can get really good. The birds will raft up holding frozen water open and won't move when it's really froze up. But when it starts to thaw, they will leave in search of food. And when that happens it's like someone turned a switch.