Thread: 06 Optimax quit running

Default 06 Optimax quit running

alright motor guys, I Have a 06 mercury 90 Optimax that has an issue. Today I took my boat out, and like normal cranked it up to idle at the boat ramp. At first ran fine then suddenly choked out. I cranked it again, it ran for a few seconds then choked out again. Took the boat out and began working with the fuel. Drained the water out of the fuel pump, cleaned gas lines, put in fuel treatment in tank, and still nothing. When I crank the motor it will only fire if I push choke in, when I simply crank its like it is getting no fuel.

I believe the problem to be the fuel pump but don't want to dive into a $100 part and it be some kind of sensor or something.

Has anyone else had this issue with this motor or any other motor, just looking for some insight
    When in Doubt Shoot Em Again

If you drained water out of the fuel pump, you found your problem. If this is the preasure pump it is probably internally shot. The internals will rust and no longer operate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

There ain't no choke on a direct injected motor. My high pressure fuel pump went out and the boat would run 7 mph. Make sure your battery connections are clean and your battery is charged. Even if the part is $100 you will need to change it eventually.

Man, I only wish my fuel pump was $100. Try $500 for a vmax hpdi. Sounds as if that is your issue though. I would go ahead and change it.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

If it runs choked but not regular, its a probably vacuum or fuel leak. Check all the little lines to the carb, replace the fuel separator and make sure filter is snug, go get some water dispersing fuel treatment(said there was water in poump, prolly in fuel), check the line to the motor from the boat...inside and outside the cowl....dump a bottle of seafoam in it and try her again.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    If it runs choked but not regular, its a probably vacuum or fuel leak. Check all the little lines to the carb, replace the fuel separator and make sure filter is snug, go get some water dispersing fuel treatment(said there was water in poump, prolly in fuel), check the line to the motor from the boat...inside and outside the cowl....dump a bottle of seafoam in it and try her again.
    No carbs. Direct injection via preassure pump and injectors..
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    No carbs. Direct injection via preassure pump and injectors..
    doggonit...one day Ill get a newfangled motor then Ill have to learn to work on them too.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    doggonit...one day Ill get a newfangled motor then Ill have to learn to work on them too.
    Yep, they're the shit when they're running and just shit when they are not. Prolly why I don't have any either.