Thread: 9/22 teal

Default 9/22 teal

No fancy pictures today. Sun was rough where we setup. Hunted a different spot today up by the lake. Normally this is just a big mudflat, but it dried up enough over the summer and smartweeds/other duck foods took off. Lots and lots of food. It's looking like duck season could be a banner one. We already have gadwall, pintails, widgeon, and shovelers showing up. Little dog worked her ass off and has picked up 40+ birds since Friday morning. Shooting ducks with their feet down in the decoys is still the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Best weekend I've had in awhile.

That mountain in the background belongs to Ted Turner. The Armendaris ranch is just across the river/lake from here.

I snagged 3 GWT and 3 BWT. I think that my partner killed the same, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Jealous. Congrats man. Keep burning them up
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Nice killin. Thought I was going to have an opportunity to move to Utah for work in the next year or so but y'all's president is royally screwing me on that. Y'all need to keep having babies so I can make some more huggies to put on em!

Putting a hurtin on em!

Nice That is one proud dog!

Walk in spot?

Beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Drive up spot. Going to be dropping the canoe in the water to hunt the far end of this spot come regular season.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Never spent much time south of Bosque. Your pictures bring back many memories. Thank you.

Late Sept/early Oct is magic out there. The sandhill cranes should be migrating, leaves turning colors, dove/quail/teal.

My mother will be out next week, she heads out every year for Balloon Fiesta.
    She does a slam up job on a chase crew.
    Last edited by sprigdog; 09-22-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Never spent much time south of Bosque. Your pictures bring back many memories. Thank you.

Late Sept/early Oct is magic out there. The sandhill cranes should be migrating, leaves turning colors, dove/quail/teal.

My mother will be out next week, she heads out every year for Balloon Fiesta.
    She does a slam up job on a chase crew.
    I'm expecting to see the first cranes anytime now. Need a good north wind to blow the first few in. Not holding my breath for quail this year, but maybe next year the way things are looking. I still need to get up to BDA. I haven't been yet. Doves are going to get beat down on for another few weeks, then it's time for big ducks. Thinking real hard about taking a trip to the southern portion of the Gila River. It's PAC flyway. Killing a bird there would give me birds from each flyway. Nothing huge to some, but is something that I put on my bucket list back when I was a kid.

Glad I could help bring back some memories. Whenever you want to relive a few of them from the desert, you just let me know. Your mom is on a chase crew for the festival in ABQ?

cranes on the way...

Moatsy, do y'all have a Sept. teal season up there?

Awesome!
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post

Glad I could help bring back some memories. Whenever you want to relive a few of them from the desert, you just let me know. Your mom is on a chase crew for the festival in ABQ?
    Yes, shes been doing it 35 years. At 70, i'm not sure how much chasing she gets in with the. team, but without a doubt she isnt missing the party that goes along with it.

Her good friends own a couple baloons. Pretty cool sight in that blue NM sky in Oct watching 500 take off.

As pretty a place to shoot birds as I've seen.

I wonder how the airlines would feel about me loading a couple bushels of oysters on the plane ?

Sprig, we've talked about going up and watching the festival every year since we've been here, we've just always had something else come up and get in the way.

Cypress, just throw 'em in a cooler with some ice and come on...they'll damn sure be more fresh than what I can get out here

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post

Cypress, just throw 'em in a cooler with some ice and come on...they'll damn sure be more fresh than what I can get out here
    No kidding