Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jonesboro Arkansas

When are you going to be out there?

I should clarify, different guide.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Hunted four days with four people. Paid the guide 1400.00

Killed 12!!! Including shovelers.

I tried to short the guy but my buddies wouldn't let me.
    First and last time for me.
    Fuck a guided hunt!

Right on!
    Took me 1 guided trip to Arkansas to realize that as long as you are not a total dumbass and you know the basics of duck hunting then you don't need to pay someone to kill ducks.
    That said, for those that do choose to pay a guide to do the leg work, to each his own.

Texas never disappoints.

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonjosh View Post
    When are you going to be out there?
    December 13 and 14
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

Tee, piece of advice. Take a boat and go for a few more days. Hunt first day with them, if it looks slim, haul ass and ride the rivers and scout. Don't put all your eggs in one basket at a place 12 hours away. Mudeagle and I did that a few years ago. Had a local that told us they were covered up and we didn't need a boat. By the time we got there, the water dropped out enough we couldn't get in. No boat so we started scrambling. We were there and had 4 days to hunt so we called and called and borrowed a boat from a friend out there and got to hunt. Will never go to AR again without a boat again.

I've paid people to let me hunt their land, but i'm not paying someone to put me on birds and tell me what to do and when to shoot
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I will say -- doing it by yourself is very fun and rewarding when you get on birds. We will be taking another trip out to hunt public land without our fathers because they aren't up to driving all over the place, putting in long hours of scouting, and getting little sleep.

As far as guides go, I think these guys are top notch. PM me if you have any questions.

You can have a shitty hunt with or without a guide. A shitty hunt is a lot more tolerable when you didn't pay to have it. The reality is that for the most part, it will all depend on your timing and if the ducks are there. I hate to say it but it is very risky to plan a hunt more than a week or so out. The weather could change and one could easily get fucked by that one simple factor.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-18-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Hunted with them last year.First morning did not see but one bird.Did hunt that afternoon and killed a limit.Second morning saw one group of woodies nothing else.The places we were hunting had not been scouted.The guide took a nap while we were hunting the first morning.Would not go again with them.

Planning a trip this far out for that early in December is risky...
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    Planning a trip this far out for that early in December is risky...
    Well that have very little availability left...
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

Went with Duxmen a few years ago and it was absolutely terrible. We had 7 guys going and were promised two blinds over flooded rice with guides. Instead we were put in one blind with 7 people (no guide, Zach called over the phone and told us how to get there and did not show up until after dark) in a flooded hay field 150 yards from the road and our trucks. After not pulling the trigger and only seeing one group of shovelers, we let him know that we were not happy. He stuck us in the same blind (still only one blind with 7 people and no guide) and we again did not pull the trigger and only birds we saw were way in the distance flying the river high. Zach finally showed up around 10 am pulling a boat and excited to tell us about the hunt him and two of the other guides had on the river. He then had the guts to ask us for the other half of the money that we owed him for the two hunts, which we never paid.

I could understand that there may be no birds in the area, but we were also given nothing that was promised to us in numerous phone conversations that we had with him before hand. He also told us about the 2,500 birds that they killed before and talked a great game to get us all excited before we went. It was a complete joke and hope he does not screw you like he did us.

Tee, I would wait and plan closer to the time you can go. If the weather ain't right you is gonna piss away a fair amount of money. Do you have a jon boat? If so shoot me a PM and I will help you out for some public stuff. I hate to see you waste money on a pretty risky venture.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-19-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Those are some good dates that y'all are going on so if things don't work out for you just call me and see what we can work out I should be their around that time just a little south of their

The last week of the 2nd season

Pay by the day if you must pay. If you stay in the same place and continue to not kill anything, don't blame the guide blame yourself for not packing your crap and going somewhere else.

I have met many nice people from AR that were more than willing to help a respectful OOS hunter kill ducks, but just like everywhere else in the country there are those that are strictly in it for the money. If you don't go back, it doesn't matter cuz they already got your money.

If someone demanded me to pay in full up front, i'd think its a little fishy and steer clear. We have a guy that we lease a blind from in another state and he wont take your money until you are about to leave on the last day. If you sit in the blind and its slow, you call him and he will let you go somewhere else. He works his ass off to keep you where the birds are. We try to get him to hunt with us but he has more fun watching us from afar having fun
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Tee, I'm going to message you on Facebook with a more reliable guide
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I will be 2 hours south of you. Screw Jonosboro.

Awesome hunting store in that town. DNW Outdoors. The owner's name is Dennis Noel. Great guy.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Tee,

Are you going to throw rocks at the ducks???
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK