Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flying with firearms

Default flying with firearms

any general tips for flying with guns- obviously this is my 1st time

how do you make sure your shotgun doesn't take a lost luggage trip?

any pointers on a 2 gun airline approved gun case?

Thanks

Get the best case you can. I have a metal two gun, but the pelican case is the best I have seen. Gonna be a hundred dollars or so, but I have seen the cheap ones get shredded. If you dont plan on doing it a lot, it is a great borrow item. I will offer mine up as long as you are going anywhere in January.

Here is a good read about all of the rules.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ing-with-guns/

Pelican case. Mines been around the world and holding up great. The border agent in Canada seemed to enjoy seeing a cable lock though the receiver. Made a comment about more people needing to do it. Also don't put any choke tubes in your carry on.

Tuffpak - Best gun traveling decision I ever made.

http://www.nalpak.com/Tuffpak
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Thanks, that link was very helpful.

which pelican case are ya'll using - need to fit 2 870's.
    cheapest prices I've seen are around $225

I have Pelican, SKB and Americase.

The metal ones are great- until they get the shit dented out of them (Which will happen if you travel enough).

It's a toss up for me between Pelican and SKB- whichever you choose, get a model with wheels- make it much easier to drag....

A friend has a Cabela's brand case which he likes. It appears to be a quality piece of gear.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

X2 on the wheels

Let me ask this question to understand your thought process here......

You want to protect your guns while flying and will be taking 2 870's. Is $225 to much to spend on a case that will without question do the job?

What's cheaper a $225 case or spending $100 on a questionable case to do the job and it failing. Then have to replace your guns.......

Flying with firearms isn't that big a deal. Make sure you know the rules, follow them without exception and you'll be good to go.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Default This is the SKB I have....

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Let me ask this question to understand your thought process here......

You want to protect your guns while flying and will be taking 2 870's. Is $225 to much to spend on a case that will without question do the job?

What's cheaper a $225 case or spending $100 on a questionable case to do the job and it failing. Then have to replace your guns.......

Flying with firearms isn't that big a deal. Make sure you know the rules, follow them without exception and you'll be good to go.

it isn't about the money as much as getting the right case for the job.looks like a pelican 1750 will do it. $199 with free shipping from amazon.

the whole airline thing is new to me. all I've ever flown on was 4 seater prop jobs and helos.

Buy two tsa approved locks. Some of the gubment employees will want the case locked at both ends of the case so there is no way for anyone to access your guns. I try and put some stickers on mine that have nothing to do with hunting. That way people don't assume they are guns on the carousel and it makes it easier for me to identify them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    it isn't about the money as much as getting the right case for the job.looks like a pelican 1750 will do it. $199 with free shipping from amazon.

the whole airline thing is new to me. all I've ever flown on was 4 seater prop jobs and helos.

Tsa locks are not technically allowed as you are the only person who is supposed to be able to open the case. However a lot of tsa agents don't know this and they let it slip by.
    "Lord prop me up in all my leanin places"

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I just like saying Dik Dik

Quote Originally Posted by SCDivers View Post
    Tsa locks are not technically allowed as you are the only person who is supposed to be able to open the case. However a lot of tsa agents don't know this and they let it slip by.
    100% correct. That case is only supposed to be able to be opened by you or in your presence. TSA has been cutting a lot of locks because they don't even know their own rules. I think word is getting out because they are getting better about not cutting them.
    Last edited by L C Hillbilly; 09-08-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L C Hillbilly View Post
    100% correct. That case is only supposed to be able to be opened by you or in your presence. TSA has been cutting a lot of locks because they don't even know their own rules. I think word is getting out because they are getting better about not cutting them.
    What's the whole point of it being a TSA lock then? They open the case to inspect your gun often times after you check your gun case. If you had your own master lock then the firearm couldn't be inspected. I don't think that is correct. The whole point of the tsa lock is that you know the combo. But they have a key to open the gun case and inspect it. Hence the reason they are cutting locks in order to get into your gun case if you just throw a regular old master lock on the case.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 09-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.

It really isn't that big of a deal to fly with firearms as long as you follow the rules. Better you know the rules and be confident that you know them backwards and forwards in case you run into a situation. But it's not likely to happen.

The SKB cases are very good and it's what I use.

I've never used a TSA lock

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    What's the whole point of it being a TSA lock then? They open the case to inspect your gun often times after you check your gun case. If you had your own master lock then the firearm couldn't be inspected. I don't think that is correct. The whole point of the tsa lock is that you know the combo. But they have a key to open the gun case and inspect it. Hence the reason they are cutting locks in order to get into your gun case if you just throw a regular old master lock on the case.
    TSA locks are for regular luggage. I was told by the airline that firearms required TSA locks, but the TSA agent told me otherwise. I looked it up in the regulations on the TSA website and the TSA agent was correct. If they want to inspect your firearm, you have to be present. You are the only one to have the key/ combination to get it open.

Quote Originally Posted by L C Hillbilly View Post
    TSA locks are for regular luggage. I was told by the airline that firearms required TSA locks, but the TSA agent told me otherwise. I looked it up in the regulations on the TSA website and the TSA agent was correct. If they want to inspect your firearm, you have to be present. You are the only one to have the key/ combination to get it open.