Thread: '98 Yamaha 75 outboard

Default '98 Yamaha 75 outboard

Think one of the trim relays has gone bad, but i cant seem to find a good schematic to point me to them and which is which..any help would be appreciated.

The trim relay is a single unit. Check connections and verify its not them or the switch first. The 90 uses the same relay as well as several other models. On boats.net it lists it as obsolete on the '98 75(http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...CAL/parts.html) Search the part number on ebay and you should be able to find one. Or search on thehulltruth and there is a way to wire in two parts store five prong relays and get rid of the expensive Yamaha unit that is prone to going bad.

Default '98 Yamaha 75 outboard

Thanks for the help fowler. I'm on the hulltruth so I'll check into that conversion. Have heard several people say that the yammy relay was prone to fail.
    Cast and Blast 17 w/ Opti power

I shop marine has every part listed as available...

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp...er-110-050-YAM
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I've had the same problem with my 60 Yamaha. Come to find out it was a ground issue. Check the ground. I have a spare if u wanna try it out.
    Uncle john: Weston why did u shoot?
    Weston: because they was in my face!

Quote Originally Posted by sightler1987 View Post
    I've had the same problem with my 60 Yamaha. Come to find out it was a ground issue. Check the ground. I have a spare if u wanna try it out.
    Where are you from?

Lexington. met u at the boat races with bmiller. I'm the guy with the green Hancock.
    Uncle john: Weston why did u shoot?
    Weston: because they was in my face!

Quote Originally Posted by sightler1987 View Post
    Lexington. met u at the boat races with bmiller. I'm the guy with the green Hancock.
    Duh...Major Brain Fart..I knew the name was familiar but i didn't take the time to think..Ill check the grounds tomorrow afternoon and see what i come up with. Gotta get this motor right so i can stick it on the back of woodrow's hancock...

Finally got some time to investigate today..love when it's a simple thing. Checked all the connections on the relay as well as the ground to the block. Everything looked great, so I checked the battery even though I was skeptical that it could be any cause. Had just a touch of scale on the post, not even enough to warrant a second look, but decided to be sureeeee before I dug any farther. Notice the bilge pump wanted to act funny last week, so it was worth a shot to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Cleaned it up good and put it back together...whalaa!! We have action. Glad to know it wasn't anything more after reading the horror stories about the relays being prone to go bad..

Thanks for the help and advice!!...now it's time to get a Hancock to put this thing on..