Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do ya'll shoot decoying ducks?

I pass shoot nothing wrong with it if its in acual killable range. gotta take what you can get south Carolina isn't exactly the best. public waters ducks get called at and get used to decoys kinda makes it hard sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfowler View Post
    I don't care how long you been hunting or how much pride you have or whatever. Everybody pass shoots now and then. Let a pintail pass over close enough to identify and see these so called "non pass shooters" unload. Fact.
    I have no way to prove to you I havent, but I kno for a fact hands on the Bible that I let all passing birds through. Not saying I shouldnt have shot, I just cant bring my self to it. Believe me or not. Thats why ive only killed 10 pintails in my life cause I pass up so many oppurtunities
    867-5309

10 4

My hats off to you

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    People dont realize that if you give them a chance, birds will land on any public big river. Thats all I hunt mostly and I dont pull the trigger unless they have committed to my spread. Fact
    I've gone out and decoyed after and before the season (most afterwards) and my batting average goes up for sure, but it ain't nowhere near 1.000.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Learning to read a duck or ducks' signals in flight has to be the toughest aspect of hunting them.

What they may do one day, they may not do the next.

Any respectable veteran will tell you a duck will teach you something new everyday.

Watching body language and movements can tell you if they are interested or not. A duck or ducks may pass you at 40 yards and you can call, pull a jerk string, push the button on your flapper wing devices, and he couldn't care less. He'll top the trees never to be seen again. Or, he may turn his head, look at your decoys and show interest. That same duck may return in 30 minutes and pitch in while you're fiddling for a can of tobacco.

Ducks may work you from way out and come in close for 8 swings and decide they don't like what they see and head elsewhere, or they may b-line straight for you and pitch without a single pass.

Most of my public duck hunting is done with me and my partner standing right under the tree I saw the ducks light on or swimming around the day before. I rely more on location, a small realistic spread, and my ability to hide more so than I do calling these days.

If I'm hunting public tidal marsh or river I make damn sure they can't see me.

I love watching ducks pitch into a decoy spread more than anything, but have zero hesitation at tree topping a bird I think won't play the game.

I hunt most any ducks and some are more predictable than others.
    Ringnecks and teal can more often than not be lit if you stay on em with motion and a call. Big ducks are much more wary. I take the best shot I have before it's too late.

Remember one thing, don't shoot at a duck just because you want him.
    Duckman#1 can hit a big duck in the eyeball from 60yards out or straight above him. I've watched him do it. I'm not that good and chances are neither are you. Keep your shots at no more than 40yards max, and you'll likely pick up the duck you shoot at instead of watching him sail 100 yards into the grass, or worse leave unscathed with an education.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

BOGSTER thanks for the valuable information. I appreciate it man

Two years ago I killed limits on both openers and my brother limited with me in the second. Every bird was either feet down or in the decoys. Public water with a lot of pressure. True story. Another member on here was a witness to one of the beat downs.

Pro Tip.....scout twice as much as you hunt and try to hunt during the week if possible. It will increase you odds tremendously.
    Last edited by Riggs; 08-20-2013 at 07:59 PM.

I hunt ducks. I'll decoy them in. I'll call them in. I've got 15 species of decoys rigged up for three different type waters. I'll set-up in a pass and burn a few shells. I'll quietly wait on them to show up at a feeding spot. I’ll paddle them up and jump shoot ‘em. I’ll walk them up and jump shoot them. I’ve killed one from a bike. If a duck is preoccupied, I've got no problem putting the Berkeley County sneak on him.

I am a duck hunter.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I hunt ducks. I'll decoy them in. I'll call them in. I've got 15 species of decoys rigged up for three different type waters. I'll set-up in a pass and burn a few shells. I'll quietly wait on them to show up at a feeding spot. I’ll paddle them up and jump shoot ‘em. I’ll walk them up and jump shoot them. I’ve killed one from a bike. If a duck is preoccupied, I've got no problem putting the Berkeley County sneak on him.

I am a duck hunter.

I am a duck hunter.
    this guy gets it
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

I am a duck hunter.
    I like the way you think!
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    Two years ago I killed limits on both openers and my brother limited with me in the second. Every bird was either feet down or in the decoys. Public water with a lot of pressure. True story. Another member on here was a witness to one of the beat downs.
    No offense Riggs, outstanding feat.

But....pretty sad that you have to follow up that story with "true story"

Duck hunting SC.....a necessary evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.