Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Lines

Thanks for the compliment. Funny thing is that all the responses you've got have been smart ass answers. They just were not as blatant
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

10 4 bud.

I use them at the coast. They can be a pistol at times. They are going to tangle up and when they do it is a pain in the butt. If U are not hunting divers I would not do it.I will say that after you have a major nut roll several times U will figure it out. Everyone wants to find an easier softer way including me. The choice is yours go for it.

Use diamond braid for main line and droppers; it sinks. I use 150 feet of 5/16 for the main and two feet of 3/16 for droppers. I tie my droppers to the main line and use 3 1/2 inch swivel clips to attach the droppers to the decoys. In ten feet or less, I attach my anchor directly to main line ends which terminate with brass snap clips. In deeper water, I use 25 feet of 5/16 as rode extensions terminating with a solid ring and brass snap clip on opposite ends.
    At most of our diver spots, I use three feet of 1/4 inch chain attached to a collapsible grapnel anchor. I have sash weights and home poured lead anchors (using a soup can and a eye-bolt @ ~10lbs) for high current situations like sea ducks. If these start rolling, we'll add the chain and grapnel.

Company in Indiana called "Decoy Rigs"will build rigs to any specification and sell supplies to make them yourself. Phone #219-659-8371

Edit: Forgot to add that I leave my decoys attached and use collapsible leaf barrels (1 line/barrel).
    Last edited by boondoggle; 07-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Phoneman .... You should be nicer. You could hurt someone's feelings. Some of us could learn from this thread.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

Awesome thanks a lot. I will definitely check them out. I did however order a heavy hauler raft o ducks anchor system. I wanted to try one out. If I like it ill just make my own.

I live on the coast and last season I killed way more divers than puddle ducks by far. I realize when I say long lines people think divers but you can use puddle ducks. They don't have to be straight lines all the time you could do C, V , W whatever. I don't think there just limited to divers.

If I can add anything it would be use line that will not kink, and leave no excess on anything. It will snag everything in the boat. Extension cord deals and old mig wire reels work good for winding line. I got about 1000' of mono off my father's commercial long line rig. Don't know what lb it is but its about 3/16 thick, will not kink or knot. Like stated before use the real long line clips, 6" ones. Fumbling with them little shit ain't fun freezing in the dark. I ain't in tide though, lake mostly. Homemade anchors, lead poured in anything that won't melt. I don't use high roller anchors cause most get hung and lost. We run about 7 dozen on 4 lines, maybe 15 to 20 minutes minus the layout.

Don't over think it, its long lines. Seems like every time I try to make it more simple, it gets more complicated.
    I still fly that southern flag.
    Whistling Dixie loud enough to brag.

One man's trash...

Quote Originally Posted by pokin'fun View Post
    If I can add anything it would be use line that will not kink, and leave no excess on anything. It will snag everything in the boat.
    That's exactly why I settled on body-wrapped singles is that theres never even a foot of loose line in the boat.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by mudeagle View Post
    I wonder how long it takes to put out 300 decoys on long lines?
    You should know! You do it all the damn time
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 07-29-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    You should know! You do it all the damn time
    I've hunted across the way from mudeagle......I can verify that he is lazy.

He shoots wood ducks in beaver ponds these days.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I've hunted across the way from mudeagle......I can verify that he is lazy.

He shoots wood ducks in beaver ponds these days.
    No bog, me and him have been shooting tamie ponds and having coot shoots from time to time
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I love a good coot shoot.

Power Sculling Coots!

Long lines optional!
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 07-29-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Maybe phone man would be less bitter if he ate a coot once in a while......?????
    Last edited by Waterfowler; 07-29-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Lets get back to shooting coots

Big water chicken......

Nothing like a coot 'fore work and before goin to bed.

Im always bitter! Alot better than people callin ya sweet.

What if he said you were bitter sweet?

Fml
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 07-29-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14