Thread: Raffia grass

Default Raffia grass

Anyone got any pics of their blind with raffia grass? I'm ordering about 30lbs soon and was wanting some ideas on how you mixed colors or even what colors you thought where the best. Not sure if anyone's ever used raffia grass on here but there's alot of different shades. Need help, thanks.

Buy the natural and paint it. It will last a while under tough conditions as long as its attatched well. Had it on my sneak boat damn near four years. Do yourself a favor and zip tie each end though
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Where are you getting it? I was thinking of buying some too.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

I bought an ass of it from the craft store real cheap, bought dye and died it three colors and mixed it. Beenon my blind for about four years now.
    I still fly that southern flag.
    Whistling Dixie loud enough to brag.

Ordering it from jstern company. Same people Avery get it from. The only catch is that you have to order a minimum of 25lbs. It's about $4.50 per 2lbs whereas a blind kit from Avery is 20-30 bucks thats still only 2lbs.. So overall way cheaper for the exact same thing.
    Last edited by Waterfowler; 07-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.

hands down, use jm stern http://www.jstern.com/
    I had the same question last year and did some poking around on another duck hunting site with a lot less assholes but fewer Pee Wee Gaskins stories (deal breaker).

here's a thread i found helpful: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...?f=72&t=159839

I ordered about 25 lbs and still have a ton left over which i'm gonna use this season. all of the grass i attached to my blind last year has held up great, no mildew etc. The woman was really friendly and helpful and had answers to all my questions. Apparently this company supplies the materials that go into the much more expensive mats from the big name hunting stores which could be bullshit but it sure feels good thinking you're cuttin out the middle man

Agreed, Ordering from Jstern is the best option and bang for your buck. Back to my original question, do you guys have pics or an opinion on the best colors? Obviously here in SC, green is a must. Looking back a pics from last season the marshes and riversides still had plenty of green later in the season. I also use DHC.com and have a blind build that may be helpful for you guys looking into the raffia. Check it out. http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...?f=72&t=241993

Got my grass yesterday, going to start attaching it to my blind tomorrow. Any advice on the best way to do this? As of right now the grass in individual hanks. Each hank is about 4 to 5 feet long and tied at one end. To clarify I plan on using zip ties to attach the grass but what do I do to the grass? Fold it in half or what?