View Poll Results: Seeing a dog in a parking lot, in the summer with water and shade, what do you do?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Call the Police

7 4.05%
  • Note water and shade, and continue on with your business

150 86.71%
  • Enter establishment and confront the person who the dog and van belongs to

12 6.94%
  • Cut the lead and take the dog with you

4 2.31%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Animal Cruelty?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'll be honest. This twists my shorts. I am forever hearing that folks dont want to be treated like that.

Question for you, since this is a duck hunting website...have you ever sent a retriever on a water retrieve in January? Since you are so concerned with how the dog "feels", I am sure you make your buddy sit on the hill while you go skinning out in the cold water so he doesnt get cold and wet. Further, if you drop a bird in the briars, be sure you dont send the pup in there. Get your own rear up in there so the pup doesnt get all scratched up.
    He's not tied up to a van in a parking lot on a short rope. Dogs enjoy being tied to a rope . I get your point I just don't agree with owning a dog for that reason and maybe you should spend a few days where that dog is .

OK...forgive me, I am the argumentative type.

Short rope tied to a van:

Long rope yields strangulation hazard, and potential for getting run over.

Left in van yields baked dog.

No rope yields running off in traffic.

I dont need a rope tied to my neck. I will stay put if the person who feeds me tells me to stay there.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

OK...forgive me, I am the argumentative type.

Short rope tied to a van:

Long rope yields strangulation hazard, and potential for getting run over.

Left in van yields baked dog.

No rope yields running off in traffic.

I dont need a rope tied to my neck. I will stay put if the person who feeds me tells me to stay there.
    I just answered the poll to what I think I would have done. No need to getting all worked up. It's just an opinion.

Humor me. I am having fun with this, while trying to understand people's thought processes.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'll be honest. This twists my shorts. I am forever hearing that folks dont want to be treated like that.

Question for you, since this is a duck hunting website...have you ever sent a retriever on a water retrieve in January? Since you are so concerned with how the dog "feels", I am sure you make your buddy sit on the hill while you go skinning out in the cold water so he doesnt get cold and wet. Further, if you drop a bird in the briars, be sure you dont send the pup in there. Get your own rear up in there so the pup doesnt get all scratched up.
    im with you on that one.... i love my two labs, and dont ever want to see them suffer or go without, but until they can talk, do chores, drive a car, or earn an income, they are still dogs, and will be treated like dogs.....

ehh, most of the time.....

Humor me. I am having fun with this, while trying to understand people's thought processes.
    Sounds like you're the bored one.

Maybe I am bored. But folks who think this is out of bounds enough to track someone down or call the police, or wish the person undue harm confound me, and I want to understand them.

Please help me understand. I am debating. Don't mistake the debate for a personal attack, (which is what I would construe a stranger tracking me down and questioning my actions as).

Maybe I am bored. But folks who think this is out of bounds enough to track someone down or call the police, or wish the person undue harm confound me, and I want to understand them.

Please help me understand. I am debating. Don't mistake the debate for a personal attack, (which is what I would construe a stranger tracking me down and questioning my actions as).
    Good point... Again you persuaded me to answer remember I just said I felt bad for the poor dog..

people who say "How would you like it if you were left there?" have let Walt Disney teach them about animal behavior and not nature. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is thinking like this that trains neurotic dogs that need medication.

I got crap this morning for leaving my dogs outside during the storm last night. The people giving me a hard time have to medicate their dogs during a thunderstorm or fireworks, or have to let fluffy sleep right on top of them to feel safe.
    Last edited by mudminnow; 07-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Do you have an outside dog Woodduck17??

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    people who say "How would you like it if you were left there?" have let Walt Disney teach them about animal behavior and not nature. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is thinking like this that trains neurotic dogs that need medication.

I got crap this morning for leaving my dogs outside during the storm last night. The people giving me a hard time have to medicate their dogs during a thunderstorm or fireworks, or have to let fluffy sleep right on top of them to feel safe.
    That's a little much ...

Quote Originally Posted by woodduck17 View Post
    Good point... Again you persuaded me to answer remember I just said I felt bad for the poor dog..
    Again, how does this situation create a need for empathy?

Remember, an animal is a tool. They have a means, which create an end. By feeling sympathy for an animal in a situation which is not harmful to the dog, you by logic support those who feel sending a retriever on a water retrieve in January is cruel and unusual.

Again, how does this situation create a need for empathy?

Remember, an animal is a tool. They have a means, which create an end. By feeling sympathy for an animal in a situation which is not harmful to the dog, you by logic support those who feel sending a retriever on a water retrieve in January is cruel and unusual.
    I guess bc I'm a pussy . I understand what you're saying I think a dog jumping in cold water after a bird is great stuff and I'm not against nor do I feel bad for the dog

It is logical for people two make one of two assumptions just by looking at that picture. Either the dog is ok, or he isn't. Both assumptions can be rationalized based on how you perceive it.

Now if that was a cat I'd run it over when I left or OBAMA
    Last edited by woodduck17; 07-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Do you have an outside dog Woodduck17??
    Sure

Pbiz would shoot it, maybe add that option in for him

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    It is logical for people two make one of two assumptions just by looking at that picture. Either the dog is ok, or he isn't. Both assumptions can be rationalized based on how you perceive it.
    Show me what would cause someone to "rationally" assume the dog is not "ok".

I think maybe what we perceive is ok, or not ok is what we need to deduce.

Someone debate me, damnit.

Ok... give me a few.

Show me what would cause someone to "rationally" assume the dog is not "ok".

I think maybe what we perceive is ok, or not ok is what we need to deduce.

Someone debate me, damnit.
    Dog is black