Thread: Academy Breathables

Default Academy Breathables

Anybody have them? I am headed to Montana in June and am looking for some breathables. Thanks.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...and&N=83518984

You're going to Montana to flyfish and you will go back once you see what it offers. Spend a couple of hundred dollars on some waders that will last you ten or more years. Orvis and Simms have great warranties. I have a pair of Orvis waders that are 15 years old and still going strong.

If you're trying to economize, I'd buy the Cabelas Dry-Plus breathables before I went with the Academy brand.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I'm going to do a shameless plug here...I work at Luthi's Outfitters in Greenville. We have one of the best damn fly shops around and can get you into a great pair of waders for under $150 if that's what you are looking for. We are a big Simms dealer and also carry Redington.

Boondoggle is right. Spend the money on a better set of waders, wherever you get them from....Anything that may rip or tear easily, like the Academy stuff, will leave you pissed off and on the bank or having to stay in the boat. Give me a yell and we will get you "outfitted".
    At least I'm housebroken.

Agreed on all accounts, I have been in my orvis for 12-13 years, and good waders will make a better trip. Dont skimp on them.

Duck Nitz is alive........and slinging outdoor gear.

http://www.phasmidrentals.com/fly-fishing/

This might be good to look into. While I don't want to take any business away from luthis (headed there this afternoon to pick up a new fly line), With the cost of baggage to get your gear out there, it might be worth it to use these folks. And don't buy academy gear. Redington makes good inexpensive waders.

Dook: You betcho sweet ass!

gitrdun

Stan Luthi has graciously offered 10% off any purchase at Luthi's Fly Fishing (ff'ing gear and apparel ONLY) to SC Ducks members. This includes EVERYTHING. Just mention that you are an SC Ducker at the checkout. We only do this for Trout Unlimited, so enjoy. My name is Rob Lanning, and you can ask for me or just mention it to Steve Grose (he runs fly fishing). Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    I'm going to do a shameless plug here...I work at Luthi's Outfitters in Greenville. We have one of the best damn fly shops around and can get you into a great pair of waders for under $150 if that's what you are looking for. We are a big Simms dealer and also carry Redington.

Boondoggle is right. Spend the money on a better set of waders, wherever you get them from....Anything that may rip or tear easily, like the Academy stuff, will leave you pissed off and on the bank or having to stay in the boat. Give me a yell and we will get you "outfitted".
    Thanks for the response. What would you recommend if you were to get me in a set of breathables at a reasonable price? You can PM me if it's better.

Reddington's start at $99 and up to $150 for what we have in stock. Simms (and we are heavy on these) are starting at $175 and go up to $800. We are ready when you are!

Dn,
    I need some good light weight boots, my cabelas are coming apart, do you folks have a website?

We do have one, but its not very "Robust". We stock alot of Simms boots and Korkers. We have 3 styles of Korkers including the new KGB guide boot (which by all accounts are the bomb) and about 6 or 7 styles of Simms. If we don't have it in stock, I'll order it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    We do have one, but its not very "Robust". We stock alot of Simms boots and Korkers. We have 3 styles of Korkers including the new KGB guide boot (which by all accounts are the bomb) and about 6 or 7 styles of Simms. If we don't have it in stock, I'll order it.
    I have been looking at the Korkers, I needed an opinion on them, how sturdy are they? I need felt 85% of the time, but I hearing that Vibram has made strides in the new lugg soles that is far better than the lugg soles of the old days, any truth to that?

I cant wear studs, they hurt my planters fibroma or whatever that shit is on the bottom of my feets.

Korkers KGB's are considered a guide boot with a really high boot. I have not bought or worn a pair, but the industry folks are quite high on them. They also come with felt inserts as well as a regular rubber insert (non-studded). If you don't need major ankle support in a high boot, look at the Metalhead, Chrome, or the Redside. I dig on the KGB's because they look like they can go into 4-low real quick when you got to make tracks in or out....Also, not a fan of the BOA lacing system so the KGB wins.

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing.html