Thread: Generator Cradle?

Default Generator Cradle?

So I picked up a Champion 4K generator yesterday but I don't want the generator in the bottom of the boat, while fishing, so my thinking is to create a cradle that will stretch from gunnel to gunnel and the generator will sit in the middle. I will build a box around it to help with the sound and put wheels on one end, so I can roll it around when its not in the boat.

I had an idea to help with the exhaust noise and that was to weld up some EMT tubing and exhaust it out of the boat and under the water like an outboard. What are you thoughts on that idea?
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I would opt for some kind of flexible hose if I was going to exhaust below the waterline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I've tried that and it doesn't work. 90% of the noise you hear is coming from the motor, not the exaust. Also if you build a box around it you'll need to leave one side open and instal a fan in the box to help keep it cool because it will overheat easily. Trust me on this, I've personally seen gasoline BOIL!

i just strap mine to one side of the back seat on top of a few pieces of soft foam to keep vibration down. point the exhaust out the back or the side and it wont be bad.

I put mine on a rubber mat and it helps with the vibration and noise. I put mine on the back seat. Just make sure like Trent said that it can get plenty of air. I had one a few years ago in the bottom of the boat between the gun box and a cooler and it flat burned the generator up.