Tastes like gator or frog. Just don't eat the skin that shit is NASTY

Quote Originally Posted by D Shot Shoota View Post
    Marion is full of alligator snapper's

No it ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by D Shot Shoota View Post
    Marion is full of alligator snapper's
    No.

They are not native to SC.

We have snapping turtles, like the one in the photo.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Gotta love some kuder
    Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    And the designated hitter is stupid. Be a man and grab a bat.

it's a woody but delicate meat... I snagged one once when I was about 10 years old while bream fishing with my Uncle Leo (he lived behind our house in a dirt floored pine cabin).
    He made me carry it by the tail all the way home; probably a two mile hike or so. I recall thinking during the entire trek that the thing was eventually going to reach over and get me somewhere between my bare toes and my balls. Back at the cabin, Leo got it to bite a green oak stick and then he made me cut it's head off with a bowie knife... scary as it was, still a relief after the marathon of carrying that hissing bastard 2 miles in the Laurens County July sun.

In typical country fashion, we cleaned it and rolled it in buttermilk and corn meal, not thinking twice that had been used on innumerable catfish and titty bream already, and deep fried it in a cast iron pot over a pine wood fire.

For what it's worth the cooter did indeed not let go of that stick while I, more gingerly than I'm more willing to recall, cut it's head off. After gorging ourselves on it, I slid the head of my prize on a cedar branch where it stayed for years, even surviving the fire that eventually burned down Leo's cabin.

One of my best days.
    Last edited by Moatsy; 05-01-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Good stuff there, Moatsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Good stuff there, Moatsy.

Indeed.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

you are right i was referring to the common snapper. I have however seen a alligator snapper in SC

Been wanting to butcher one.... Snapper that is..... I hear they are some really delicate meat..... Reminds me of ox.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

When I used to run turtle hooks every summer I sold most of the hard shells and kept the soft shells (elephant nose). I would only clean a hard shells if I was out of meat. I never sold my soft shells because they were so easy to dress, all you needed was a knife. I hated having to scald the hard shells to dress them. Had to build a fire and heat up a big kettle of water, etc.

Once in a while I would come across one that had eggs in her. That was a special gift. Those un-laid eggs are good eating.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

If you ever eat fried. Turtle you will never let another one go.
    easy livin'

Growing up, my neighbor used to trap them. He used the meat in brunswick stew. Never had any fried.