Thread: New Hevi-Shot Turkey Load

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Got this from another board written by a guy here in SC. --MM

Guys & gals, I was recently introduced to the latest & greatest turkey load from Environmetal. They're the 'real' Hevishot company. I have a friend who owns a choke company and he introduced us to a new turkey load at the state shooting event a couple weeks ago. It is called Hevi 13 and is loaded with 1 3/4 oz of shot instead of the old standard 1 5/8 oz they have been offering. It also has another feature I really like, the shells are sealed on the end so they don't leak those nasty little buffer pellets all over everything.The stuff isn't listed on their website yet and someone posted a question on their MB about it last week asking if there is any truth to the rumor of a new turkey load and it has yet to be answered. I might be letting the cat out of the bag here, but I saw 4 cases of the stuff all boxed up in new colored boxes with their label and boasting "way Heavier Than Lead"

Now my buddy didn't know all the particulars but did say that in addition to having a heavier payload, they also coated the shot with molybdenum or 'molycoat'. We went through about 10 boxes of them at the still target competition and I will say they outperformed the old standard lead shot we normally use there by almost 2-1. I have scored this event for the past 4 or 5 years and our shot counts normally range 8 - 17 in the 4" red circle. These loads were putting 15 - 25 consistently in the circle with a high score of the day of 28. we were also shooting in less than ideal conditions but that's not unusual for this particular event as it is always held in January.

I do not know when it will be available in your local sporting goods store, but I think it will be worth keeping an eye out for it. He says it is already at a wholesale house here but didn't know when they plan to release it to the retail market.
    A note from me MM..

Now with that said, for all of you regular turkey jumters here I know you know this but for any lurkers out there that may be reading the forum...

...please keep in mind that Hevi-Shot and it's potential to "shoot further" is no reason to take longer shots on turkeys. That is not the point and isn't the sales point either. Do your homework, practice your calling skills, and perfect your techniques, get that bird in as close as you can before dropping the hammer. The advantage of Hevi-Shot is that it holds tight and hits hard reducing the chance of crippling and losing that bird. Don't take that long shot in a hope and a prayer, those attempts almost never work. And remember that when your sitting on the ground at eye level with a big strutting gobbler, and your looking down the barrel of your gun through a headnet, you get a sense of tunnel vision that can distort your depth perception greatly. Add that to the adrenaline rush and that bird can look as big as a black Volkswagon Beetle and still be 50 yd out! And I'll tell you up front that you aren't going to be able to track a wounded turkey! You ain't that good, no one is, cause unlike a deer they aren't going to leave sign!

Shoot him close and Hevi-Shot will increase the odds that he's going down stone cold dead!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I'm sure it is good. I really have not had trouble with the lead loads we are shooting now. The bird is not going to be any more dead with hevi than lead. And the additional expense of the new shells; a marketing miracle.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by Sasha and Abby:
    The bird is not going to be any more dead with hevi than lead.
    And that's where you're wrong! Shows how much you know, biology wasn't your forte I see!!

Scientific study after scientific study has shown that a bird (turkey or duck) killed with Hevi-Shot is killed deader than those shot with lead or steel. Steel especially causes what biologist refer to as a "soft kill", lead is better and was once thought to provide the hardest kill, but now with tests performed with Hevi-Shot it's been proven that Hevi-Shot kills harder than the others. So if you want that bird to suffer the most extreme "hard kill" known to man use Hevi-Shot!!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

From the hevi-Shot email newletter:

Hevi-Shot 13

Speaking of secrets, we have a new shell coming out! It's in a few markets around the country, but I'm going to spill the beans on this one, too! Our latest innovation is called "HEVI-13™". It's a moly-coated shot that's even denser than HEVI-Shot® - and Way Heavier Than Lead™! This stuff patterns better than HEVI-Shot® and hits like a ton of bricks. But don't believe me: ask the folks at last weekend's South Carolina Still Target Championship, sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation. We won! By a lot! Just wait until we compete in national championship in August! But more importantly, maybe we can get some to you in time to thump Tom this Spring.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=Wild+Turkey/v=2/SID=w/l=IVS/SIG=130eug77f/EXP=1106922016/*-http%3A//raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/LandManagement/images/turkey_calling2.jpg[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

NITRO Hevi-Shot 4x5x7 Turn your sound UP!
    Been shooting these BAD Boys since 2001 and they Do It Right. They were in NY back then but now are in MO. If~n Environmetal is the Mfg. of Hevishot, they will run old Nitro-Ray out of business. Ray has been buying the Hevishot from the Mfg. and dipping it in a 'molycoat' or teflon type material for several years. If the Mfg. comes into the stream the cost should come down.
    O'Well, another little guy may bite the dust???
    Has been $99 / Box of 25! That's {W/S&H} been $4.15 per Turkey. Should be the same stuff, one may be a little faster than the other??? NITROs are 1,200 FPS. Would not surprise me if these NEW 13's run it up to $3.15 > $3.35 per pop! Just a guess based on the $4 per pop of Nitro's!
    Reloading is one of the few times in life when it pays to allow yourself to be truly paranoid!

"Y'all be safe out there"
    NRA Lifer 1970

I just don't have the money to waste on HeviShot or WSM's or any of the other fads that come out. I'm too old fashioned. Hell, I'm lucky that I stepped up from the blunderbuss that I used to hunt with. [img]graemlins/hunt.gif[/img]
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I'm here to tell you, old boy...I have used this stuff and it IS as good as advertised.

You should know by know...Mergie and I don't endorse a product lightly...

Humble Qui Chang Turkey Man here. I must impose my self, all the while trying to find answers to the most alluding of questions:

How dead is dead? What is there that is better than lead?

Qui Chang, standing by....

I hear you LCS and I know you wouldn't put your name with something you didn't fully believe was damn good!

Have you tried the new Hevi-13? I've been using regular Hevi-Shot for a couple of years now myself, and I too endorse it!

Ain't it about time we had a Lead vs Steel vs Hevi-Shot chicken smashing contest? If I remember correctly someone challenged our honor and expertise on that deal. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bwhahaaa! He is crafty, Mergs, and likely to try it beforehand and see that we are RIGHT and then renege on the exhibition. I am telling you right now...I'll take lead or hevi-shot at 65 yds vs Fasteel in a "NASA-approved patternmaster superwadchoker" ported choke (or whateverthefuckheswears by) any day of the week.

We'll see if he rises to the bait....heh heh.

its "wad-shredding"

Originally posted by Low Country Sandlapper:
    Bwhahaaa! He is crafty, Mergs, and likely to try it beforehand and see that we are RIGHT and then renege on the exhibition. I am telling you right now...I'll take lead or hevi-shot at 65 yds vs Fasteel in a "NASA-approved patternmaster superwadchoker" ported choke (or whateverthefuckheswears by) any day of the week.

We'll see if he rises to the bait....heh heh.
    Bwahahahahhaa!!! [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Say it ain't so LCS, tell me the boy wouldn't do that to us? Shifty bastard is he? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If he tried it all I gotta say is with the lead and Hevi-Shot tests he's gonna be eating chicken every meal for a month. And with the steel tests he's got a bunch of chickens running around on crutches down there! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i dont know how hevi shot can be deadlier than lead but the difference between steel and hevi shot in some study was with steel the bird is like being punched in the face with hevi its like being hit by a car, there is a huge difference in the waterfowl scene but with turkeys why use hevi over lead