Thread: Fanning

I guess I should ask our resident expert, Cut'Em All, since he is a mod and all....

I have heard about people using a gobblers fan to attract birds. I don't know much about the technique, but i would gather that you have to hold the fan and open and close it yourself. It seems to me that it would make the turkey find you at the same time, but i have three gobblers running together that have fooled me too many times this year. One of them needs to die. Anyone tried this? Any pointers? Smart-ass replies can be kept to yourself....thanks.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Try it! What do you have to lose at this point?
    More fuel = more boost!!

KRT cant read Toofer you should know that by now and you should expect smartass answers anytime you ask for advice on here.
    Kill em all, let the dog sort em out!

i know...i know..the scary thing is that KRT is right. I was thinking about just waiting for them to gobble and then running in there lilke a bat out of hell and shooting them as they fly away. At least trying the fan thing seems a bit more sporty....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I know a guy that glued an gobbler fan to a small stake and put it out there with a hen decoy. He swears by it...said the big boys come in ready to fight the struttin bird!

It is worth a shot.

They make a decoy that is printed on the carboard, (can't think of the name right now) but all it is, is the fan and i used it the other day and let me tell you it WORKS. I think it is the same company that makes the photoed duck decoys and all, but there not 3d at all

I know a guy that put corn out and killed a bird. Maybe there is hope for you 2th [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

That's a new one to me 2th. I've never heard of such. 'Course a lot of things are new to me.

I saw a sequence of pictures once with a guy out west bowhunting for turkeys. He was in an area where rifles were also legal. He had this blind set up out in the open and had 4 or 5 decoys out front, one of them was solid international orange! He called a gobbler in and shot it with his bow! The bird didn't pay any attention to the fact that one of the dekes was international orange! Just strutted right up to it. The guy said he always uses at least one orange deke when he's hunting in rifle country.

And to think I worry about what color buttons are on my camo shirts!! I guess ya just never know!

So why not a fan, heck why not an orange fan! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just be sure there ain't no white 5 gal buckets nearby! That skeers the crap outof them!! Or maybe that was Candor what skeered that gobbler? He skeers me!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Well did the fan work? I personally don't see how the hell it will work. Maybe if the bird is 400 yards across a field and can't really see u.

2TH DOC, A BUDDY OF MINE IN GA TOLD ME ABOUT THIS AND HE SWEARS BY IT. YOU CAN BUY A FAKE ONE FROM SOME CATALOGS OR IF YOU MESS UP AND SHOOT A JAKE YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN. ON THE LAST PAGE OF THE NOV/DEC TURKEY CALL MAG IT TELLS YOU HOW. YOU JUST STICK IT UP NEAR YOUR HEN DECOY WITH THE ASS END FACING WHERE YOU THINK THE GOBBLER IS COMING FROM. I HAVENT'T TRIED IT YET, I CARRY TOO MUCH CRAP AS IT IS. BY THE END OF THE SEASON I'M NOT EVEN CARRYING A DECOY OR SEAT CUSHION, JUST RUNNING AND GUNNING.
    SAVE TURKEYS / KILL COYOTES

You don't need no fan. They is only turkeys! Are you not more intelligent than they???????? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Are you saying they outsmarted you, yet their brain is about the size of a pea????????
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I have never tried it but have a friend that sweats by it. He does no fold the fan down he just lowers it and then brings it back up. He has crawled out into fields and had go Bledsoe come running to it and shot them. It is all about the visual thing in the mind of a hornet gobbler. Have also had some old timers say they have used a white sock pulled over ther hand and the go bled thinks it is the head of another gobblèr.

8 years old ... You did some serious searching for this one.

8 years later and he still sucks at turkey hunting.........
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by osarducks View Post
    hornet gobbler
    I am just hopping to kill my first hornet gobbler this year. They sound cool! What sub species is that?
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Tom View Post
    I am just hopping to kill my first hornet gobbler this year. They sound cool! What sub species is that?
    Bledsoe strain of whiteleg.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-18-2012 at 04:21 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

bwahahahahahah, you got some lined up????
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

I've killed a bird using this technique. However, it works the best with a fresh fan because you can open/close it more naturally. It's best to have the person calling and working the fan simultaneously. If they're in the field and locked up with hens then some aggressive calling and fan displays can bring them running

It works. I've seen it with my own eyes and I've never seen it spook a bird. I don't do it, but it works.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973