Thread: Any new 'Wannabe' compound bow hunters this year?

Default Any new 'Wannabe' compound bow hunters this year?

If anyone knows of someone who is wanting get into bow hunting, using a compound bow, without going to a lot of expense to find out if they like it or not, let me know.

I've got a 50#-60# Jennings Buckmaster bow, set up for about 50#'s @ a 27" draw, but have another (29"?) cam for it.

It was given to me as a bare bow to get me started, and I'm ready to 'pay it forward' to another new shooter. I've added a 3 pin sight, prong / drop-away rest, and a combo sling & stabilizer.

The type and weight of arrow will depend on what pull weight the new shooter will be using, so arrows and broadheads are not planned to be included.

It's a good, solid bow that has quite a few years left in it and can get the job done.

Just let me know if there's any interest.

Mergie, did you ever get yourself set up?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

pm sent
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

PM sent

You know, a former member of this site used to run a similar program, but he had to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

That's because he was an asshole and we won't tolerate that shit around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    That's because he was an asshole and we won't tolerate that shit around here.
    Then how are you still here

It's just not fair, is it?

Life isnt fair. You play the hand you are dealt and at the end of the day say thank you.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Yup.

That's a fine bow. I have one just like it from a guy wanting to get me started. WoodieSC, this is a fine gesture. Hats off, kind sir!
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
    You know, a former member of this site used to run a similar program, but he had to leave.
    That's who set me up with this bow to start with, and my promise to him was that once I moved on to another bow (or quit) I'd do the same and pass this on to someone else to help them get started. "He who needs to remain un-named" deserves all the credit.

I just made a deal on a nice bow so it's time to get someone rolling. I'm only sorry it took me so long.

If anyone has a decent release, and possibly a different rest that captures the arrow, or some unused/spare arrows for the 50#-60# range, etc, I think it would be great if we could expand this 'Starter Program' a little.

I'll respond to the PM's tomorrow as I'm about to hit the rack and have a few things to get done first.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-20-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    ~ George Washington

i definitely have a release i can give someone (preferably a new guy or kid) if they're located in the spartanburg or laurens area. might have an extra whisker biscuit laying around, but don't quote me on that.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

PM's responded to, and offer made and awaiting confirmation.

Thanks for the offer of some accessories, ziggy. PM sent. Please let me know and we'll go from there.

It appears this bow will probably continue to be set up in the 50#-55# range, so if anyone by any chance has some extra arrows that fit that range and would be willing to include them in this "Pay-It-Forward Starter Program", please advise.

A couple of fixed-blade broadheads, or target points, etc, would also be helpful.

The new shooter will obviously need to have some skin-in-the-game ($'s), but there are a number of other items as we all know that will eat that up quick.

This bow may be a few years old, but it's in great shape and has plenty of life left in it. Hopefully the new owner will be able to bag a deer or two and then be in a position to pass this one on to another new bow hunter in a few years.

Thanks, Guys.
    ~ George Washington

Default Any new 'Wannabe' compound bow hunters this year?

I have some arrows. Let me know who ends up with the bow.
    Last edited by britton40; 07-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    I have some arrows. Let me know who ends up with the bow.
    dhall got someone set up with it and I believe he added some arrows to the pot also.

Hold those arrows as I'm sure someone else who's new to the sport will come along this season yet.

Thanks!
    ~ George Washington

Yep, I gave him a dozen goldtips, points, few muzzys and a ol' back yard buck, so he is sitting well. I tuned it for him and he has gotten pretty fond with it over the past two months. Should be able to kill a deer if the chance arises. Thanks again Woodie.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 07-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Good stuff, Woodie!
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Yep, I gave him a dozen goldtips, points, few muzzys and a ol' back yard buck, so he is sitting well. I tuned it for him and he has gotten pretty fond with it over the past two months. Should be able to kill a deer if the chance arises. Thanks again Woodie.
    Great job there, dhall! A dozen goldtips... dang... he darn well better get himself a nice deer or three!

I'm still futzin' around on getting my 'new' compound tuned. I haven't spent enough time yet deciding which arrows I'm going to use/cut-down and get set up, but need to get moving on that soon! Maybe I'll make an appointment with Dwight down in Pendleton and just get it done right.

The credit for this "Pay it Forward" effort all goes to the guy who first set me (and others) up to get into bow hunting. Unfortunately his name remains "un-named" here... so here's to ya', #### ...

~ George Washington