Thread: Hard Drive Upgrade?

Default Hard Drive Upgrade?

Been thinking of picking one of these slim line refurbished computers up as a spare. Anyone know if you can upgrade the hard drive from 80gb to 1tb?

Would it be possible to upgrade the processor as well or would that mean a new motherboard and other crap? The reason I ask is the i5 and i7 processors are supposed to be good from what I hear and I've seen a few deals lately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiple...item485259a1d9

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    Been thinking of picking one of these slim line refurbished computers up as a spare. Anyone know if you can upgrade the hard drive from 80gb to 1tb?

Would it be possible to upgrade the processor as well or would that mean a new motherboard and other crap? The reason I ask is the i5 and i7 processors are supposed to be good from what I hear and I've seen a few deals lately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiple...item485259a1d9

80GB is way too small, but there are many external drives that are 1TB for under $100 now, but that would be more than the computer is worth. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Yeah --

I was basically just needing something relatively small that didn't take up much space. Figured I would buy one of these and throw a larger hard drive in it if compatible. I reckon I just need to buy a new smaller desktop and be done with it.

Drive technology has changed in the past several years. If the refurb has an older IDE drive, you might have trouble finding a newer, 1TB, drive as a replacment. Newer drives are SATA not IDE.

I bet you'd be better off and cheaper just to buy a new cheapie from Walmart.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That unit, Dell Optiplex 360, comes with an 80 GB SATA hard drive...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Drive technology has changed in the past several years. If the refurb has an older IDE drive, you might have trouble finding a newer, 1TB, drive as a replacment. Newer drives are SATA not IDE.

I bet you'd be better off and cheaper just to buy a new cheapie from Walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    That unit, Dell Optiplex 360, comes with an 80 GB SATA hard drive...
    Thanks - I really didn't feel like researching it...while at work...with the ducks on the pond distracting me...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

send me some pics!

Since it is SATA you can easily slap a bigger HD in it, but if it's a spare PC I wouldn't mess with even trying to find another processor. Roll with what's in it and get ya an external HD to save files, backup, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft