Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Discuss The Open...

Default Let's Discuss The Open...

Starts next week, 6 March 13. I think you have until Saturday to get signed up.

Who's in and what affiliate?

In with Carolina Crossfit.

In - The Athlete's House
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Open WOD 13.1 announced...

Workout 13.1
    17 minute AMRAP of:
    40 Burpees
    30 Snatch, 75 / 45 lbs
    30 Burpees
    30 Snatch, 135 / 75 lbs
    20 Burpees
    30 Snatch, 165 / 100 lbs
    10 burpees
    Max rep Snatch, 210 / 120 lbs

Range of motion standards demo here...

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open

Gracious.

Crossfit Integrity

For me, getting to the 165# snatch will be a task. And if I make it that far, snatching 165# for reps will be difficult to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Crossfit Integrity

For me, getting to the 165# snatch will be a task. And if I make it that far, snatching 165# for reps will be difficult to manage.
    X 2.

135# snatches after 70 burpees and 30 snatches at 75# is going to be rough. If I get to the 165 I'm going to deadlift it once, dump it and go drink beer.

This will be our programmed WOD at CFS on Friday. I'll post reps/times when I can breathe again. Remember the time you finish a set of snatches needs to be written down as well as you total reps. The times are used as a tie breaker.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-07-2013 at 09:36 AM.

I bogged down in the 135lb snatch this morning. Got to them at the 10 min mark but could only manage 15 reps that counted. My form on snatches needs help.

Nice job DK. Is it as rough as it looks?

Upstate Crossfit

Still working on shoulder range of motion to get under the bar into overhead squat position.

This is NOT going to be fun!
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

A sticky??

Pace yourself. No need to get in a hurry on this one. My problem was I need to work on catching cleans and snatches in a squat or at least drop under it more. I probably had 5 noreps that I snatched to the top of my head. I was tired but not gassed and the 30 light snatches do you no favors for the 135 but that is also me with a close grip and bad form.

Julie Foucher crushes WOD 13.1 with 195 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Pace yourself. No need to get in a hurry on this one. My problem was I need to work on catching cleans and snatches in a squat or at least drop under it more. I probably had 5 noreps that I snatched to the top of my head. I was tired but not gassed and the 30 light snatches do you no favors for the 135 but that is also me with a close grip and bad form.
    Roger that. I smell what you're steppin' in. I'm going to use that 30 @ 75 as warm up to hopefully get deep into the 135. My form sucks too. More worried about shoulder burn on the burpees to be honest.

Julie Foucher crushes WOD 13.1 with 195 reps.

That lady is a machine, son.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    My form on snatches needs help.
    For what its worth...

Try to keep the bar really close as it passes your knees and moves into your pockets. The bar should literally touch your legs through the entire lower part of the lift. If the bar is close through the middle, it'll be close when it passes your chest and face. Once the bar is above your knees and the hips begin opening, you need to generate lots of speed through the middle in order to accelerate the bar. This is accomplished with a big jump and a shrug. And when I say jump, I mean everything you've got. Forget finesse here. Brute strength from your hips and traps is what powers the snatch. This should give the weight enough lift so that you only have to bend your knees slightly to get 135 into a full snatch.

If you use a push jerk for shoulder to overhead, remember that rebend in the knees when snatching moderate weight. If you'll rebend your knees after the big jump, your arms should lock out and your legs can finish the lift.

Judge Tip - if the bar stalls before lockout during a snatch, pressing out should be judged a no rep. So if the bar is traveling up, don't let it stop.
    Last edited by Fish; 03-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Gents, I ain't gonna lie. 30 snatches at 135# is a bitch.

Gents, I ain't gonna lie. 30 snatches at 135# is a bitch.
    30 snatches at 135#, for this guy?... It'll never happen.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Judge Tip - if the bar stalls before lockout during a snatch, pressing out should be judged a no rep. So if the bar is traveling up, don't let it stop.
    It isn't though. In order to judge and certify scores all L1's had to take the judges course. In there they state press outs are good as long as the bar never comes back below the head and everything finishes locked out from bar to ankles before the weight is lowered.

And that includes C/J as well as snatch.

We only no rep press outs on 1RM days. During metcons they count as long as straight line lock out is achieved and the bar never drops below the head.

For what its worth...

Try to keep the bar really close as it passes your knees and moves into your pockets. The bar should literally touch your legs through the entire lower part of the lift. If the bar is close through the middle, it'll be close when it passes your chest and face. Once the bar is above your knees and the hips begin opening, you need to generate lots of speed through the middle in order to accelerate the bar. This is accomplished with a big jump and a shrug. And when I say jump, I mean everything you've got. Forget finesse here. Brute strength from your hips and traps is what powers the snatch. This should give the weight enough lift so that you only have to bend your knees slightly to get 135 into a full snatch.

If you use a push jerk for shoulder to overhead, remember that rebend in the knees when snatching moderate weight. If you'll rebend your knees after the big jump, your arms should lock out and your legs can finish the lift.

I actually worked on them some after the WOD and hit some with a lot more shrug and it made a difference. I now know if my feet come off the floor I'm pulling hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It isn't though. In order to judge and certify scores all L1's had to take the judges course. In there they state press outs are good as long as the bar never comes back below the head and everything finishes locked out from bar to ankles before the weight is lowered.

And that includes C/J as well as snatch.

We only no rep press outs on 1RM days. During metcons they count as long as straight line lock out is achieved and the bar never drops below the head.
    Good information. Makes it a bit easier to get through this wod.