Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When can police search your car?

Default When can police search your car?

When can police search your car?

submit

While police generally need a warrant to search you or your property — during a traffic stop, police only need probable cause to legally search your vehicle. Probable cause means police must have some facts or evidence to believe you’re involved in criminal activity.
    In other words, an officer’s hunch without evidence of illegal activity is not enough to legally search your car. Before searching, he must observe something real. Common examples of probable cause include the sight or smell of contraband in plain view or plain smell, or an admission of guilt for a specific crime. The presentation of any of these facts would allow an officer to perform a search and make an arrest.
    Be aware that minor traffic violations (e.g. speeding, broken tail-light, or expired registration) are not considered probable cause.
    Okay. So how can I keep police from searching my car?

Simply understanding the legal definition of probable cause probably won’t be enough to prepare you for the pressure and confusion of a real police encounter.

Most police are able to exploit a major loophole to the probable cause search requirement. But by following these basic rules, you’ll be better able to prevent police from tricking you into giving up your your constitutional rights. You’ll also improve your odds of driving away safely.
    Always Be Calm & Cool

If police flag you down, pull over immediately, turn off your car, and place your hands on the wheel. Police like to see your hands for their own safety — so wait until they request your paperwork before reaching for it. At night, it’s also a good idea to turn on the dome light, so the officer can see you’re not armed.
    Always greet policemen and policewomen as “Officer”. For example, you may start off with “Good afternoon, Officer. How’s it going today?” Under no circumstances should you ever talk back, raise your voice, or use profanity with a police officer. Being hostile with police is stupid and dangerous. You can’t win that game.
    If the officer writes you a ticket, accept it quietly and never complain. Listen to any instruction on paying the fine or contesting the ticket, and drive away slowly.
    Remain Silent: What You Don’t Say Can’t Hurt You

Police may try to get you to admit to having broken a law. For example, an officer may ask, “Do you know how fast you were going?”
    You may assert your 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination by refusing to admit you might have broken a law. As such, the best answer to that and similar questions is “No, Officer.”
    Because anything you say can and will be used against you in court, the less you say the better. You also don’t want to announce to police that you know your rights. They’ll take that as a challenge. Just keep quiet and calm.
    You Have the Right to Refuse Search Requests

Police may order the driver and any passengers out of the vehicle. If this happens, step out of the car. If they have reasonable suspicion to detain you, police may frisk the outside of your clothing to check for weapons, but only if they have a basis for suspecting you’re armed.

If police detain and frisk you, you have the right to clearly state your refusal to consent to the search. For example, you may say “Officer, I’m not resisting. I do not consent to this search.” But you should only verbally refuse. Never physically resist. Just touching an officer could get you tasered or beaten. You could also get a felony charge for assaulting a police officer.
    Whether they frisk you or not, police may ask you a series of questions. They will probably include something like “You don’t mind if I have a look in your car?” Beware of that question: It’s the legal loophole that the officer wants to snare you in. (It might even sound like a command, but it’s technically a request.)
    In response to such request, you may politely decline by saying “Officer, I know you’re just doing your job, but I don’t consent to searches.” Some officers may use their authority to make you feel obligated to prove your innocence by asking “What do you have to hide?” Don’t fall for such tricks. If necessary, repeat your refusal.
    Remember: The 4th Amendment protects your right to refuse search requests, but it doesn’t require police to tell you about your right to refuse. In fact, consenting to searches automatically makes them legal in the eyes of the law. So if you’re pulled over, don’t try to figure out whether or not the officer has probable cause to legally search you. You always have the right to refuse searches.
    Refusing a search request is not an admission of guilt and does not give the officer the legal right to search or detain you. In fact, most avoidable police searches don’t occur because police have probable cause. They occur because people get tricked or intimidated into consenting to search requests.
    If police search your car and find illegal items despite your refusal, your lawyer can file a motion to suppress — or throw out — the evidence in court. If the judge agrees that the officer’s search violated the 4th Amendment’s probable cause requirements, she’ll grant the motion. Unless the prosecution has other evidence, your charges would be dismissed.
    Determine if You’re Free to Go

Unless you’re detained or arrested, you may terminate the encounter anytime. But don’t wait for the officer to dismiss you. Ask if you’re free to go.
    For example, if an officer threatens to call in a K-9 unit if you refuse a search, you should ask “Officer, are you detaining me, or am I free to go?
    Not only can this line can help withdraw you from an encounter, it also deflects any of the officer’s probing questions or threats. So if an officer says “If you cooperate with me, everything will go easy for you.” You may respond by saying either “Officer, I don’t consent to any searches” or “Officer, am I free to go?”
    If the officer lets you leave, do so immediately. If the officer’s answer is unclear, or if he asks additional questions, persist by repeating “Officer, am I free to go?”
    Ask for a Lawyer

If you are not free to go, you are being detained. The officer might have some reason to suspect you of a crime, and you may be arrested.
    In such a situation, your magic words are “I’m going to remain silent. I would like to see a lawyer.” These magic words are like a legal condom. They’re your best protection if you’re under arrest.
    Never rely on police to inform you of your right to remain silent and see a lawyer. Repeat the magic words as necessary, but say no more. Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you in court.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirGyJDSivI[/ame]
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

I don't want to make a cop's job harder but there is an even bigger risk for us in letting our rights erode. I think "safety inspections/license checks" are unconstitutional. Similarly, I don't think cops should dupe people into consenting to searches by exploiting their perceived authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

I don't want to make a cop's job harder but there is an even bigger risk for us in letting our rights erode. I think "safety inspections/license checks" are unconstitutional. Similarly, I don't think cops should dupe people into consenting to searches by exploiting their perceived authority.
    Had a cop stop me for speeding, which I was, with my wife and kids in the car going to Grandma's house. He wanted to search the car as "routine" as he put it. My wife got involved at this point where he promptly told her she had zero business interfering, that pissed her off. She then recited the law, informed him she was an attorney, asked for his badge number an a few other things. He handed my license and registration back, said have a nice day and please keep to the speed limit. The look on his face when she informed him of her profession in that Georgia drawl was priceless.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

When they tell you that "what you say can and will be used against you", they leave off the part that what you say cannot be used for you, it's hearsay. All you can do by talking is make things worse.

I have to ask though, did the OP get a ticket for 1 mile over or did he blow a 1.08 on the breathalyzer?

I have several friend that are law enforcement and they said they usually know when niceness is required and when being a peckerhead is required. Some cops ive run into seem to let the peckerheadness overtake the niceness. I feel like if im polite then they should be as well. Never thought about asking for badge numbers though.

Ive been asked to step out twice. Once was early in the morning on the way home from working all day and most of the night and was exhausted. He thought i was drinking but was nice and told me to go get some coffee and be careful going home. Other time was ehen my buddy thought it would be smart to pass SCHP officer on 26. Then proceeded to tell him there were guns in the car. I got spread on the hood. Not fun.

On another note i did get cuffed and had a glock to my head once in college for discharging a firearm on national forest. At that time i was unsure exactly where i was or even who i was but gunbarrel to back of head will sober a fella up real quick
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have to ask though, did the OP get a ticket for 1 mile over or did he blow a 1.08 on the breathalyzer?
    Pretty sure he's a cop

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Pretty sure he's a cop
    Oh. As we all know, cops don't get tickets.

If they're only frisking for weapons, how come they always find the reefer?

Bullshit... Tell that to my wallet when I got a 19 over the limit in the ATL.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Dis muhfukka...

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkLee View Post
    Bullshit... Tell that to my wallet when I got a 19 over the limit in the ATL.
    Yea, but a civilian like me (suspect in cop speak) would have gotten Rodney King'd.

Do you think the milkman gets his milk for free?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Hate it when that happens

I understand they have a job to do ,but EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THERE RIGHTS....

THEIR

The number one problem with search is that at any time, any moment, all the officer has to say is "I smell marijuana" and that gives him probable cause, and there is damn near nothing you can do about it.

Many officers do this, knowing full and well they smelled no such thing, but they believe you may have narcotics in the car, and they know they can abuse this method.

I've never been pulled over and had an officer do this to me, but have had friends that experienced it.
    Personally if I were to ever find myself in this situation, I would step out like I was asked to, but would lock my doors and leave the keys in the floorboard, and say ........oops.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Yea, but a civilian like me (suspect in cop speak) would have gotten Rodney King'd.

You must have been picked on in school.