Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    If the dinner table demo in TX was any indicator, you are ready to hunt with your Trumpet. Nothing builds confidence like using a call to bring a Gobbler into range. You can do it !!!

Keep it in your vehicle this off season- until March. Play it every day. Learn to call with one hand. I am always available to help if possible. See you in a few weeks. I will have your Mesquite call..
    I'm getting there, I think. Shit, what do you know? You have probably ambushed all of the birds that you've killed. Maybe even leaning up against a gate. DOn't plan the throw down for 6/7. I have a wedding that weekend. I could do Friday night if thats when it needs to be.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

LOL!! Hey I called to those 3 birds with a trumpet.

Later in the month of June is fine..... We are booked the first two weekends now... A lot depends on RJG.... it's going downhill...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

LOL!! Hey I called to those 3 birds with a trumpet.

Later in the month of June is fine..... We are booked the first two weekends now... A lot depends on RJG.... it's going downhill...
    Prayers up my friend
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Gracias.

The Buice Mesquite calls had some miles put on em this year..

Attached Images Attached Images
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

You know what, I am sure your depth and breadth of Turkey killing and hunting knowledge vastly out measures mine..

I can't ask all the Turkeys I have called up in the last 26 years of using Trumpets for their opinions....... they are all dead.

I will defer to your obviously much higher level of expertise in these matters. I'm out.
    26 years? Why did you wait so long to start? You think you're the only person on this forum that's been hunting that long? Ridiculous argument anyway, turkeys can be called with cane and I've called several with an empty ink pen. Your statement that a wingbone can't sound as good as trumpet is a load of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    26 years? Why did you wait so long to start? You think you're the only person on this forum that's been hunting that long? Ridiculous argument anyway, turkeys can be called with cane and I've called several with an empty ink pen. Your statement that a wingbone can't sound as good as trumpet is a load of crap.

Actually, I killed my first one in 1978.

Just been hunting with a trumpet for 26 years. I'm sure you are the fucking king of Turkey hunting. Good for you.

I bet I sound better on a trumpet than you do on a wingbone- or an ink pen for that matter. I can run a Trumpet call- and plenty of folks here have heard me do it. Next.

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I believe it cause you sure like tooting your own damn horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    All the ones my friends have made have been from gobbler bones. They don't have to be made from hens.

No, they don't. But most of the best known wingbone makers prefer a hen bone for the mouthpiece. It sounds better. If all you have is gobbler bones to use, epoxy the mouth piece opening and poke a hole with a toothpick to get it to sound close to what you would get with a hen bone. I agree that sometimes trumpets don't sound that great... Until you stand 50 yards away. It's amazing how realistic it sounds then.

My wingbone is made from hen bones for the the mouthpiece and the middle section and then the bell is a young gobbler bone. Goose bones are at times used to make a wingbone call as well. Not all wingbone yelpers are equal.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    I agree that sometimes trumpets don't sound that great... Until you stand 50 yards away. It's amazing how realistic it sounds then.
    I often get the same comment and from folks gunning just 10 yards away. The turkeys seem to like it too. Never found a need to look further than Mr. Hudson's trumpets. Am sure all mentioned here are fine call makers though. IMO trumpet calling is like natural voice owl calling. Most folks could do it well enough but they just lack confidence.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I often get the same comment and from folks gunning just 10 yards away. The turkeys seem to like it too. Never found a need to look further than Mr. Hudson's trumpets. Am sure all mentioned here are fine call makers though. IMO trumpet calling is like natural voice owl calling. Most folks could do it well enough but they just lack confidence.
    That's the point I am at right now. I carried one with me this past season but the only time I used it was either playing around when nothing was gobbling or when one had shutup and wouldn't pay attention to anything else. I had my son with me once when a bird gobbled once and then shutup. I moved back about thirty yards behind my son and tried the trumpet. Later he told me he thought a hen had snuck between us it sounded so realistic.

I didn't call one in with it or even get one to answer for that matter but it added another weapon to use next year as I am determined to keep practicing to the point that I am confident in using it..
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Matt McLain makes as fine a trumpet as you can get. I didn't see his name mentioned, maybe I missed it.
    IMO, there is no single "best you can buy" trumpet. Some are better for some players and others are better for other players. Everybody plays one a little differently and most draw too much air.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    That's the point I am at right now. I carried one with me this past season but the only time I used it was either playing around when nothing was gobbling or when one had shutup and wouldn't pay attention to anything else. I had my son with me once when a bird gobbled once and then shutup. I moved back about thirty yards behind my son and tried the trumpet. Later he told me he thought a hen had snuck between us it sounded so realistic.

I didn't call one in with it or even get one to answer for that matter but it added another weapon to use next year as I am determined to keep practicing to the point that I am confident in using it..
    Some advice I can give to boost your confidence is walk in the woods and set down some type of recorder, I use my cell phone, and walk 20 - 30 yards away and play a sequence. Then go listen to it. This will give you an idea how you sound in the field and at a distance. It will help you with consistency as well.

I also send the sound file to a couple friends who's opinion I trust on how a turkey sounds to get their opinion of how I sound in comparison. I want to sound like a turkey, not a contest caller. Hunting turkeys is the only reason I have the call and the only use I have for it. A call outside can sound totally different than it does indoors. Have had calls sound awesome inside that sound like crap in the woods. Good luck!
    Last edited by davisd9; 05-19-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Matt McLain makes as fine a trumpet as you can get. I didn't see his name mentioned, maybe I missed it.
    IMO, there is no single "best you can buy" trumpet. Some are better for some players and others are better for other players. Everybody plays one a little differently and most draw too much air.

I have 2 of Matt's.....a Mineral Persimmon/Acrylic Mouthpiece and a Macassar Ebony/Horn Mouthpiece with one of his daughters Kangaroo Leather Lanyards, both are as solid as the come no doubt.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Trumpets sound good up close if you know how to run them soft. A lot of guys dont have the air control to run them soft. They do sound awesome from further off. Trumpets arent really meant to make all the sounds of a turkey, but they excel at clucks and yelping, loud or soft. They really sound awesome on the little three and four note yelp of a hen when she is walking in the woods soft calling. I dont know of another call than can replicate that sound. A mouth call is close but cant replicate the little ringing tone of the yelp when it rolls over.

Wing bones vs trumpets. I also lean to a trumpet over wing bone just because of consistency. Ive run some great wing bones, but i feel that trumpets are more consistent and easier to run. I think it takes more skill to run a wing bone. Either way both are death in the hands of someone who knows how to run them.
    Last edited by Savduck; 05-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savduck View Post
    Either way both are death in the hands of MOST who know how to run them.
    FIFY....hahaha

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    FIFY....hahaha

Yes indeed.

Evil little shit you are Gaissert...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Evil little shit you are Gaissert...
    No foul Andy, no foul. This fat boy failed to deliver this year. Guess i should have gotten in on that magic wood yall sent Buice.

Gaissert would have killed 10 if his aim was better.... Just sayin.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.