Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    He's "competent"

Just a tad.......

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

After listening to Rev. Zach again, I realize we all have a long ways to go to achieve "Master" status...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That's a fact, Jack!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Billy Buice..........hands down the master. I'm sending him some IPE and Ebony today for 2 more trumpets.
    You ever get your Lignum I sent to him for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Savduck View Post
    You ever get your Lignum I sent to him for you.

I just talked to him yesterday, I've got one coming from him. I'm lot sure if it's out of that block but he said it's some of the nicest he's had and he played it over the phone, sounded phenomenal.

I just talked to him yesterday, I've got one coming from him. I'm lot sure if it's out of that block but he said it's some of the nicest he's had and he played it over the phone, sounded phenomenal.
    Well damn, we only wrote your name on it when I mailed it. He called and told me it was good stuff. He was saving the other two blocks I sent him for he and Jaimie. I bet its your piece.

Old stuff dude. has history too. Was part of a bearing in a World War two boat. text me a picture when you get it.

Got my eyes on two Permars next. Trying to decide which one I want.
    Last edited by Savduck; 05-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.

I got a Mopane coming too....can't wait until they get here:

I got a Mopane coming too....can't wait until they get here:
    Mike? or Billy?

Billy

Billy
    Damn. Sexy.

Have to come check that out.

Why not just get a regular wing bone? Killed many birds with them. Not really hard to make but I've bought a few and friends have made me some. First one I ever bought was from Ike Ashby at the Sportsman's Classic. He's the one who first told me to choose one with an elliptical shaped mouth piece. I didn't know why at first, I thought because of the sound. Not really, it's just easier to yelp on if you turn it sideways.
    Edited: Also never understood the point of the stupid rubber pieces on the mouth part. If you can even half way use the call the part it totally unnecessary.
    Last edited by Kioti; 05-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.

I find that a well made trumpet sounds better than any wingbone caller.. Too many variables in the bone internal diameters... most folks that are making wingbone calls from Gobbler bones are too low in tone. I find that Gobblers respond better to a higher pitch call..

Hen bones are smaller in diameter of course and high pitched yelps are not a problem if you use hen bones..

Just my opinion and experience of course.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 05-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Is it not illegal to posses hen bones in SC?... I heard that it's illegal to have them even if you find a dead hen on the side of the road???
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Is it not illegal to posses hen bones in SC?... I heard that it's illegal to have them even if you find a dead hen on the side of the road???
    Hell if I know... Best sounding wingbone call I own is one Lovett Williams made from Osceola hen bones and gave to me a long time ago. It sounds OK. but I play a trumpet call much better.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I have found the value of a good Trumpet. Several died to trumpet this year and many more will in the future. Working on a prototype as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I find that a well made trumpet sounds better than any wingbone caller.. Too many variables in the bone internal diameters... most folks that are making wingbone calls from Gobbler bones are too low in tone. I find that Gobblers respond better to a higher pitch call..

Hen bones are smaller in diameter of course and high pitched yelps are not a problem if you use hen bones..

Just my opinion and experience of course.
    Sounds better to you or a turkey? First of all, these calls don't sound the most like a hen to begin with but that doesn't stop gobblers from loving these type calls. I certainly don't think I've had a problem with gobblers not liking the sound of a wingbone.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    All the ones my friends have made have been from gobbler bones. They don't have to be made from hens.

I'm getting better at my flute tooting. I may have the balls to try it on a turkey next year. I got as far as hanging it around my neck on one hunt this year, but I was by myself, and protected against any photographic evidence.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Sounds better to you or a turkey? First of all, these calls don't sound the most like a hen to begin with but that doesn't stop gobblers from loving these type calls. I certainly don't think I've had a problem with gobblers not liking the sound of a wingbone.
    You know what, I am sure your depth and breadth of Turkey killing and hunting knowledge vastly out measures mine..

I can't ask all the Turkeys I have called up in the last 26 years of using Trumpets for their opinions....... they are all dead.

I will defer to your obviously much higher level of expertise in these matters. I'm out.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I'm getting better at my flute tooting. I may have the balls to try it on a turkey next year. I got as far as hanging it around my neck on one hunt this year, but I was by myself, and protected against any photographic evidence.
    If the dinner table demo in TX was any indicator, you are ready to hunt with your Trumpet. Nothing builds confidence like using a call to bring a Gobbler into range. You can do it !!!

Keep it in your vehicle this off season- until March. Play it every day. Learn to call with one hand. I am always available to help if possible. See you in a few weeks. I will have your Mesquite call..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.