Thread: Native American Indian Dog Breed

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Native American Indian Dog Breed

Anybody here ever heard of this breed of dog? According to this the only original ones left are wild and live at the Savanna River Site.

Native American Indian Dog Breed

Introduction:
    The Native American Indian Dog, also known as the Carolina Dog, the North American Native Dog, the Dingo Dog, the Dixie Dingo, the Native American Dog, the Southern Aboriginal Dog, the NAID and “Old Yaller,” is an ancient, almost feral breed that developed in the deep south and now is extremely rare in the wild. When domestically raised from birth and well socialized, the Native American Dog can make a loyal, protective and devoted companion. They are intelligent, long-lived, versatile and considered hypoallergenic. They also are naturally shy around strangers and do not thrive when kept primarily indoors and/or in a crate. Owners must understand this breed’s history and true nature to make a companion relationship successful.

The Native American Dog varies widely in size. The smaller variety (most commonly called the Carolina Dog) typically stands 18 to 26 inches at the withers and weighs between 40 and 60 pounds; the larger, more wolf-like variety, more common in the North, stands 26 to 32 inches and can weigh upwards of 100 pounds, with the proportionate increase in height. It comes in two distinct hair coat lengths and several coat color combinations. They can range in color from yellowish-gold to silver to black, and can be a tortoise shell color or the sacred blue or red color of the Native American "Spirit Dog". Their coat can be short and dense, two layers thick, of which the undercoat is wind and water proof. They also can have a long overcoat with a dense undercoat. Their undercoat sheds once a year, typically in the spring; regular brushing during that period will help control the accumulation of loose hair about the house. Their ears are upright, their head broad and wide between the eyes with an angular shaped head tapering down to a slender muzzle.

History
    Resembling a smaller version of the Australian Dingo, the Native American Dog is among the last of the native North American dogs that were companions of the original American people. Their ancestors are thousands of years old; some stayed close to human settlements, while others stayed wild and preferred to fend for themselves. Before the Spaniards introduced horses to this country in the 1500s, dogs were the Native Americans’ only “beasts of burden.” They pulled travois, helped with hunting game, carried heavy packs of supplies and protected women, children and the elderly. Over the centuries, the more domesticated of these were cross-bred with imported European dogs, making “pure” specimens of the Native American Dog few and far between. Fortunately, a few native dogs managed to survive in remote and uninhabited areas of the Savannah River region of South Carolina.

There is a split in opinion about whether the Native American Indian Dog is truly a pure descendant of the dogs originally kept by Native American or whether it is a completely separate and “new” breed. There is also disagreement about whether the NAID is the same dog as the Carolina Dog, or a very close relative. Regardless of the outcome of this controversy, dogs descending from ancient wild dogs do live today, and are commonly called either the Carolina Dog or the North American Indian Dog, depending on its ancestry and “type.”

A University of Georgia biology professor named Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin (or Brisbane) first discovered a pure population of primitive dogs living naturally in the United States Department of Energy’s Savannah River site in South Carolina. He studied and monitored this group, which closely resembled the wild Dingo dog of Australia. He and other scientists discovered that their bones were virtually identical to those of Neolithic dogs found in Native American burial grounds dating back thousands of years. These dogs are thought to be direct descendants of the ancient pariah dogs that accompanied the Asians across the Bering Strait land bridge some 8,000 years ago. Some of these dogs remain in pure-breeding feral packs in the swamps and piney woods of the Savannah River Basin. Great care is being taken by scientists and enthusiasts to protect them from human influence.

Others have been bred and reared as so-called “Native American Dogs” in a domesticated context. In the mid-1990s, Karen Markel of Majestic View Kennels began a specific breeding program focused on re-creating the appearance and versatility of the original dogs of the Native Americans. She got her long-haired foundation dogs from Native Americans living in the Sawtooth Mountain area of Idaho and Montana; those dogs differed widely from the smaller, short-haired wild dogs found in the South. Mrs. Markel apparently crossed those dogs with the Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, Chinook and German Shepherd in an attempt to “re-create” rather than preserve the original pedigree of the type of native dogs favored in the Northern part of what now is the United States. She trademarked the name “Native American Indian Dog” and founded the Native American Indian Dog Registry. Today, the NAID is nationally recognized as a domestic breed resembling and exhibiting traits of the primitive dogs described above. The NAID is recognized by the National Kennel Club and by the American Rare Breed Association, but not by the American Kennel Club.

Some experts claim that any dog sold as a native “Indian dog”, including one sold as a NAID, is not really a “re-creation” of any pure breed. They reason that the original dogs native to North America now exist only in their wild state, in an isolated corner of the Carolinas. Moreover, they remind us that the American Indians never actually had a pure breed of dog. They cross-bred between tribes to prevent genetic disorders associated with tight inbreeding. When the Europeans arrived, those mixed-breed, semi-domesticated native dogs were interbred with imported dogs, further diluting any “purity” that might have remained. People advocating this school of thought claim that the Native American Indian Dog is an entirely new breed, created by one breeder, and that the Carolina Dog is the true descendant of dogs prized by the original Native Americans.

Centuries of isolation from close contact with people have instilled in the Carolina Dog and/or the NAID (depending on your opinion at to their respective ancestries) strong flight reflexes. They are incompatible with present-day companion animal lifestyles unless raised with people and actively socialized from birth. This breed does not do well as an apartment or strictly house dog, nor does it tolerate being crated for long (or even short) periods of time. In addition to being a family pet, the Native American Dog can work much as it has throughout its history: pulling sleds or carts, carrying packs, fishing and pursuing almost any type of game. They are excellent hunting companions, therapy dogs, handicap assistance dogs, search-and-rescue animals, weight competition pullers, agility competitors, skijoring dogs and fine family companions.

Longevity
    The average life span of the Carolina Dog/NAID is 12 to 19 years. There are no reported breed-specific health concerns for this hardy dog.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

The ones I have seen photos of dont look like that. They look more like lab dingo mix. You can lure them in with colorful beeds and fire water.

Got one last week as a matter of fact.
    Windows Down!

There are breeders on the net, they do not look like the dog pictured. However I am no expert. That looks morelike a wholf and german shepard mix. They sell them in Summerville.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

doesn't look like a dog designed for the deep south...South alaska, south pole, south wisconsin south dakota, but not THE DEEP SOUTH....
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I thought NDN dogs were called "supper"...

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I thought NDN dogs were called "supper"...

Only the puppies and only then for honored guests.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Never heard of such. Learn something everyday

Mergie gets it! We just call'm shiteaters.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

The ones at SRS are usually called Carolina Dogs and they look like a dingo. In fact, they are also called American Dingos. The guy that runs the Trailer Shop in Mt. Pleasant has one. He paid a pretty penny for it. He says its the smartest dogs he's ever had. There are some pictures at this site.

http://www.carolinadogs.com/

I heard a radio documentary on them. Supposedly the dogs vary in looks somewhat and one of the distinguishing characteristics of the breed is their habit of burying their scat like a cat.

I've saw a little pack of wild dogs on a lowcountry WMA. When they saw me they hauled ass. Spooky critters.

Heck I have seen those I just thought they were somebody's shit eaters.

As others said, those photos are not images of the Carolina dog. The dog looks extremely similar to the Australian dingo, and although a very large group lives on the SRS, they are well documented into much of Aiken and Bamberg counties, as well as neighboring areas along Clark's Hill, on the GA side. There are several breeders who have caught, or had someone catch wild dogs and have bred them to sell. They are a really cool, but little known about part of SC's history.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

This is what is at SRS. My cousin has one. He lives way out in the sticks on the Edisto river near North and it showed up at his house. Took him a while to get it to come near him but now it is a member of the household. He says it is the smartest little dog he has ever had.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 11-21-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

The ones I saw looked like the ones on the website PB posted

The lil dog just posted, American Indian Dog, they yodle they have alot of Dingo in them.

My grandfather had one take up at his house a few years ago. It was like the ones pictured on the site PB posted. It was very shy towards most humans, but that damn thing was smart as hell, and scrappy.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Never heard of such. Learn something everyday
    I'll second that. Why haven't I heard of this?
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973